SAU Community

Stagea Vibration

Import S13

Got a vibration under acceleration and noticeable at anything over 40kmh. This has only started after I had a service and new castor rod bushings, front tyers and front drive shafts.

I've tried putting the same tyers on the back and nothing changed.

Tried pulling the front shaft out and the vibration is gone while it was out but back now that its back in.

All the parts in the front end are tight. The stag is lowered and the new drive shafts sit on a slight lean, can this cause any issue? Can the transfer case cause this issue?

Its a s1 RS4. Cheers

I have the same rolling diameter all around and all 4 of my rims roll and ballence perfect and they are all the same offset and width.

I had brand new tyers on the back for a month with the fronts being a little older and had no issues.

I then changed to the same brand all around and all are new ATR's on the car with the same size tyers and still have this issue after having the drive shafts and castor rod bushings replaced. I drop the shaft and the problem goes away but I've put it back in as I didn't want to heat up the transfer case too much.

I'm pretty sure that dropping the shaft will not heat up the transfer case, in fact it will do the opposite. The rear wheels are constantly being driven by a mechanical connection, a clutch pack is used to engage the front shaft. The clutch packs will be doing less work without the shaft in there.

Bleeding the Altessa system may help. Also using a better oil in there may help.

Raised the car an inch and half to level out the BRAND NEW drive shafts. Problem was still there but felt a little better. Shoud also help with the life span of the joints.

Took the new drive shafts out that also had brand new uni joints. Got my old uni joints and found that they where 2mm longer then the new ones which seem to be fine for skylines but not Stageas.

Recond the old joints, fitted them and car feels better than ever. There was enought movement in the new joints to cause a vibration under acceleration. Live and learn.

Edited by Import S13

How did you recondition the joints? I thought they were a throw away unit

A lot of joints are not made to be seviceable such as the front driveshaft universals but shops can machine them out and put new joints in.