SAU Community

Just Got My R34 Xenon Hid's Defected.

MaShi

hey guys

just got pulled over by cops and rta officers which defected me for my HID's, i was told thatmy high beams are ok but i have to change my low beam to normal ones in 7 days, my question is does this mean i just have to head down to supercheap and grab a normal pair of H1 headlights and whack them in? or do i actually need to rip on the whole xenon kit and replace my headlight all together?.

thanks guys

post-57851-0-26373200-1352551303_thumb.jpg

Edited by MaShi

for xenon's to fully comply to aus standards they have to be SELF leveling and self cleaneing (ie automatic water spray onto the lenes to remove crap)

if you fit a system for both of those you could get away with them

afaik you can't put halogen bulbs straight into the headlights or even plug them into the existing wiring

dude HID = high intensity discharge lighting, its used in industrial and commerical lighting, that runs on AC and need a ballast to start so when its put in cars its over kill. Which is why I'd say they are banned. Im not sure theres a way around HID, there too bright on low beam.

Edited by badben

Its annoying to think in Australia we are that backwards still running Halogen headlights and not HIDs like everywhere else its pathetic really .

Im interested to here the end result !

Edited by NISSAN GTR

dude HID = high intensity discharge lighting, its used in industrial and commerical lighting, that runs on AC and need a ballast to start so when its put in cars its over kill. Which is why I'd say they are banned. Im not sure theres a way around HID, there too bright on low beam.

There not over kill, Mabey over 6000K were its just colour and wank factor - Apart form that my std headlights are awfull.....I think im doing everyone on the road a favor actually being able to see 20m or so in front of me, Set up correctly they wont be in anyone's eyes.

think you had better forward that memo to literally every car manufacturer in the world then......if installed in a correctly designed housing and aimed properly they are simply the best lighting solution hands down. After you've had a car with OEM projectors and HID's - anything else will feel like you're driving around with two torches strapped to your gaurds.

The only time they are defectable is if the car a) wasn't fitted with them from factory, b) isn't fitted with a self cleaning and self levelling system, or in this case c) was not ADR tested for compliance with HID fitted.

Most jap grey imports of this early era of HID had reflector housings (which don't aim the light in a very controlled manner), no washers and no self levlling - R34, C34, JZS161 to name few....so the compliance process required them to be converted back to a halogen globe.

OP - to clear it you'll have to cut the wiring before the ignitor/ballast - and wire on an H1 globe holder - throw some cheap globes in there and be done. If you're not confident doing this, don't attempt it and get an auto elec to do it - HID ballasts pump out voltage in the thousands and are not child's play.

If you want to revert back to the HID's after you clear it - get the sparky to put connectors in on both sides of the loom where he cuts it - that way you can clear the defect, remove H1 globe holders, reinstall D2R globes and holders, and plug your HID ballast back in.

If you get defected again, repeat ad nauseum

Its annoying to think in Australia we are that backwards still running Halogen headlights and not HIDs like everywhere else its pathetic really .

Please accept my apology on behalf of Mother Nissan that their 14 year old R34 reflector housings can't leap magically forward in technology so that they can be fitted with HID globes and not dazzle oncoming motorists.

Please accept my apology on behalf of Mother Nissan that their 14 year old R34 reflector housings can't leap magically forward in technology so that they can be fitted with HID globes and not dazzle oncoming motorists.

Apology accepted fool , You probably didn't know this but HID headlights were OEM/ JDM back in1999 . :P

Seriously you should read the post again from start

Edited by NISSAN GTR

The ADR states that any low/high beam lights (not "driving lights" such as used for off road) that produce more than 2000 lumens must be fitted with auto-leveling and washers. However, there appears to be a case that if the light patten falls within certain parameters (bugger me for understanding the specifics) then the auto-level and washers are not needed. So while the 2nd requirement seems an easier option, good luck actually performing the tests, etc.

Personally - I have looked at retrofitting washers and leveling sensors, though as an individual it's a lot of $$$ to outlay.

The ADR states that any low/high beam lights (not "driving lights" such as used for off road) that produce more than 2000 lumens must be fitted with auto-leveling and washers. However, there appears to be a case that if the light patten falls within certain parameters (bugger me for understanding the specifics) then the auto-level and washers are not needed. So while the 2nd requirement seems an easier option, good luck actually performing the tests, etc.

Personally - I have looked at retrofitting washers and leveling sensors, though as an individual it's a lot of $$$ to outlay.

Fitting a headlight washer doesn't seem to b e that hard of a job but to get it to "auto" level? need to shred the housing to do that IMO.

i'm seeing all this info about auto level and self cleaning. but at the end of the day the lumen level will always be the first factor in deciding whether they are legal. If its too bright its too bright.

Auto level ,do they adjust the high in relation to the distance to the car ahead to not be in someones eyes?, what about cars on the other side of the road?

Halogen's with the right colour and lumen level should do ya, its not like your roo hunting and we do have street lights and high beam when you need it.

Lights that are too bright would have to be one of the more dangerous mods someone can perform and It seems like a whole load of effort just for some light, how often does one drive at night?

Edited by badben