SAU Community

Oz Market Hu Vs Usa Market Hu

SMOKEYV35

Hey guys

I'm looking at this headunit from Pioneer.

In Australia the model designation is AVH-P8450BT and in the USA it is referred to as AVH-P8400BH.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/DVD-Receivers/AVH-P8400BH

http://www.pioneer.com.au/au/products/25/109/281/AVH-P8450BT/page.html

From all I can tell, they're the same unit. But the USA version can be had delivered for around $200 less, based on the online stores I've visited.

The GPS component is enabled by downloading an App of your choice from iTunes (eg Navgat Drive) - which would be localised - so I can't see that being a problem. Aside from warranty issues - is there any other difference I'm not recognising??

Cheers

Mat

Edited by SMOKEYC34

Hey guys

I'm looking at this headunit from Pioneer.

In Australia the model designation is AVH-P8450BT and in the USA it is referred to as AVH-P8400BH.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/DVD-Receivers/AVH-P8400BH

http://www.pioneer.com.au/au/products/25/109/281/AVH-P8450BT/page.html

From all I can tell, they're the same unit. But the USA version can be had delivered for around $200 less, based on the online stores I've visited.

The GPS component is enabled by downloading an App of your choice from iTunes (eg Navgat Drive) - which would be localised - so I can't see that being a problem. Aside from warranty issues - is there any other difference I'm not recognising??

Cheers

Mat

When i asked a rep in LA he said most apps on the radio work but not pandora, xm sat radio if you buy the external module its north america only

Gps is dountful some do most dont not tested on new models old ones dont work

Mappjng is different

Dvd region code on usa model is locked to region 4 so dvd wont play any but reg 4 disks ntsc format not pal

Warranty

Returns not accepted in most cases

your getting close to 1k limit before import costs

Otherwise its a nice unit:-)

Edited by Carbon 34

Thanks Carbon.

Only thing not clear from your explanation is the GPS comment - are you saying that a US version will not work here even if I downloaded the App from an Australian iTunes store with Oz maps?

Hope i dont sound to stupid here, but what about radio channels? I remember the original HU in my car could not find my radio channels, is it worth checking with the US ones as well or is that problem now old skool?

Hope i dont sound to stupid here, but what about radio channels? I remember the original HU in my car could not find my radio channels, is it worth checking with the US ones as well or is that problem now old skool?

Long story short japan and a few other far east northern hemisphere countries use a different band spacing then the world and (different side bands ) hence the band expander used on jdm market radios

Usa uses the same as oz

Thanks Carbon.

Only thing not clear from your explanation is the GPS comment - are you saying that a US version will not work here even if I downloaded the App from an Australian iTunes store with Oz maps?

Its hit or miss some do some dont

Not software related , on some it cant find the satellites due to a chipset lockout( yes Australia uses US gps satellites and others like japan and france)

Some radios use internal hardware , some use phone for gps? Phone would work if the radio software accepts it

If that makes sense??

its hard to be sure without a test unit ???

Long story short japan and a few other far east northern hemisphere countries use a different band spacing then the world and (different side bands ) hence the band expander used on jdm market radios

Usa uses the same as oz

not quite.

US market uses 200khz band spacing on FM Oz uses 100Khz spacing.

FM will work

US market uses 10Khz for AM spacing - here it is 9khz.

AM will be patchy.

I have fitted those units already. nice unit but the $80+ app for maps is a killer. the customer was aware that the maps would not run as well. he wanted it for music. DVD lockout is the other unless you want to burn them region free.

I would look at the app store before commiting to that unit. some of the apps for that unit will scare you price wise.

not quite.

US market uses 200khz band spacing on FM Oz uses 100Khz spacing.

FM will work

US market uses 10Khz for AM spacing - here it is 9khz.

AM will be patchy.

I have fitted those units already. nice unit but the $80+ app for maps is a killer. the customer was aware that the maps would not run as well. he wanted it for music. DVD lockout is the other unless you want to burn them region free.

I would look at the app store before commiting to that unit. some of the apps for that unit will scare you price wise.

This is why AM works here , ( does anyone listen to it lol? )

Because of the bandwidth taken up by the sidebands, the range allocated for the band as a whole is usually about 5 kHz wider on either side.

so with a proper antenna its fine

The fm works because its based on 50khz freq spacing ( 50 goes into 100 and 200 so tuning works ) the side band modularion in the passband locks on to the two strongest signals of the 3 it see's and drops the weakest signal ( thats why you hear the station a few clicks over on either side of the main signal allotment ) RDS works on the sife bands and other tags for the station

Its moot anyway who listens to the crap fm staions lol only so many times you can hear coldplay or justin butthead in hour and once is more then enough haha.

Digital radio is here and only going to get better

Internet radio as well

But the outback users have to fall back on recorded music or truckers tunes haha

I have fitted those units already. nice unit but the $80+ app for maps is a killer.

Cheers Chris.

When You say the maps won't work well what do you mean? There seems to be more than one map solution available - beyond the $80 pioneer app.

I have read some hot n cold feedback, some due to the restrictiveness of the motion lockout requiring a double bypass (which I would get). Also saying the iPod cable is v bulky. And that it doesn't support iPhone5 - which is fine by me.

Cheers Chris.

When You say the maps won't work well what do you mean? There seems to be more than one map solution available - beyond the $80 pioneer app.

I have read some hot n cold feedback, some due to the restrictiveness of the motion lockout requiring a double bypass (which I would get). Also saying the iPod cable is v bulky. And that it doesn't support iPhone5 - which is fine by me.

Pretty sure he means you should buy local and be done with it not have to fix all the crap that doesn't work and end up paying more, no service. No warranty

Buy local and support the industry jobs

Chris ?

Iphone 5 you can buy a lightning to 30 pin adapter mine is on the way to test ( damn apple and the non standard crap!! )

You will be cooked on the roadside if police see your video functions on in the drivers view

and its damn unsafe distraction

Edited by Carbon 34

has anyone had any experience with the Pioneer AppRadio 2?

Seems we got the clunky AppRadio 1 in Oz - but they've not yet updated ot AppRadio 2.

Have found a few instances of people having installed grey import versions, but there is a question mark over the radio frequencies being compatible which I can't seem to get an answer on.

has anyone had any experience with the Pioneer AppRadio 2?

Seems we got the clunky AppRadio 1 in Oz - but they've not yet updated ot AppRadio 2.

Have found a few instances of people having installed grey import versions, but there is a question mark over the radio frequencies being compatible which I can't seem to get an answer on.

I was told it would work if rhe app works here but havent tested one yet

thanks Carbon,

have you had a play with the old one before?

they seem to be the way head units are moving - but it's first mover technology at the moment and seems to have some hot n cold reviews.

I think the main drawback is that we don't get Pandora here - and that it isn't compatible with Spotify - only Rdio.