SAU Community

Ignition Steering Lock Mechanism And Telescopic Adjustment

jonathon

Hey guys,

I have pulled apart the steering column surround to have a look at why the telescopic adjustment is not working (dying for another inch of steering reach!) on my R32 GTR.

Once the surround was removed I have discovered that the steering lock mechanism/bracket is broken - therefore not allowing the steering to be locked.

post-32397-0-81392700-1355386307_thumb.jpg

post-32397-0-69329500-1355386331_thumb.jpg

I have no idea how to remove the damn thing as there are no screw/bolt ends?! I'm guessing they are security bolts of some sort, and I could drill them out.

post-32397-0-73088300-1355386525_thumb.jpg

The question is

- once removed how do I bolt on a new one?

- can the ignition barrel be swapped to a new bracket so I can keep the same key (to match boot/doors etc)?

Also - why on earth wont the damn steering adjust reach (tilt works)?

Cheers

i don't think skylines have reach adjustment. i know my r33 didn't.

as for the ignition barrel, yes you can get a new one that is keyed the same as your old one. there should be a number on your old one which you could take to any decent locksmith (not just one of those key cutting places) and get it sorted

Yes 32's have up/down and in/out adjustment.

From memory it's a big job to remove the whole column, some dreadful stuff down at the bottom.

The bolts that mount the column to the bodywork are specially designed to shear in an accident, I don't think they "undo".

You photos don't show the adjusting levers, just the broken IGN lock.

hey guys - thanks for your replies.

Turns out that it looks like someone has broken the steering lock in a previous life - bending the steering column sleeves that allow for reach adjustment.

So she is seized up and non-adjustable - simple fix was a boss kit spacer to get some more reach!

H4x - I ended up drilling the damn things out! but I tried your method on the new barrel (as the bolts were still in there) and it worked a treat!