SAU Community

R33: 2 Brake Fluid Reservoirs?

HotPlates

There is a small reservoir on the left hand side and towards the back of the R33 engine bay that says its for brake fluid.

The adjacent larger brake reservoir specifies DOT 3 brake fluid only on the cap. But the smaller reservoir doesn't specify any DOT standard on the cap.

Would I put the same brake fluid in there as the larger adjacent brake fluid reservoir?

Why are there 2 brake fluid reservoirs anyway?

Whatever is cheap, it can all be mixed as each DOT specification is chemically compatible. As long as you don't get DOT5 which is silicone based, DOT4 or DOT5.1 is what you want and both superior to DOT3 (I doubt you could find DOT3 anyway)

If you are chewing through brake fluid, then you might have a leak somewhere in the brake lines, pinhole leak in a rubber hose for example.

I thought my clutch fluid reservoir was empty but it turns out the fluid in there is really translucent. Is that normal? It's a different colour to that of the brake fluid.

Edited by HotPlates

You use the brakes more than the clutch, brake fluid can get up to and perhaps beyond 250C under heavy conditions on the road (easily 300+ at the track) as it absorbs heat from the calipers, discs, and pads whereas clutch fluid just acts actuates the engagement of the clutch. So that's why clutch fluid stays the same color, whereas brake fluid will blacken over time.