SAU Community

First Track Day At Mallala

Ricky_Bobby

As others have said, give everything a once over, make sure you've got enough brakes, etc. I wouldn't stress too much about dodger last minute mods like an oil cooler, cos if you spring a leak your day will be over. Just drive to your car. Ya won't be putting too much stress on things running street rubber and pads. You need wrist to ankle coverage like most events, helmet of course Mallala run practice days are usually self scruitineered, so you just sign to say it's all ok. I usually rock up by 9, complete documentation (plus a briefing for first timers). Then unload ( I simply empty my boot) then check everything is cool and stand around talking shit till your session starts. Run at your own pace. You will be in the day licence group which will have a mixed bag of cars and experience, so keep an eye out for the other cars, can be very unpredictable. Each session is 15 minutes and you will be out every hour. After a couple of sessions you will get used to what the others are like and get into a groove. Be ready to uncover issues you found before such as boost leaks and brake fade. Most importantly have fun ! Will probably see you around

Cool, thats really good insight as to how the day runs and what to expect etc.

Good info from everybody really ! , hopefully I might meet some of you guys out there, I am hoping that they have sheds to rent with power etc ? .

Thinking of brining my toastie maker so I need some volts for that ! .......... maybe my air compressor too I guess ? ;)

I will be the stock looking blue over green R33 , come and say gday !

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think given my car isnt heavily modded for power and its all standard braking, it will be a remote chance. Brake fade will get the better of me before I boil the fluid me thinks...

I will get some better pads and do it before the March 23rd track day i reckon, just see how it goes this saturday !

If it's the first time, take it at your own pace. Unless you're going to go mad for consistent laps you won't have any issues with brakes etc. Go out, have a feel, increase the pace slowly, do a quick lap...then a slow and repeat...keep eye out on temp gauage you'll be right.

From what I hear they dont care, dont think the track will do any timing so if you want to know its up to you to have your own device ?

I dont have one yet, I will have an action camera on the front maybe but thats about it.

Bobby - you'll boil that fluid! Mallala is commented on being the hardest track in Aus on brakes.

Throw some hi-temp brake fluid in there, and if you've got stock pads, you'll NEED another set to throw in on the day. I was metal on metal after my 2nd session on my first time out.

Also, dont get too close to the car in front as you're engine will overheat.

Did this ^ for 6 laps, started getting blowby thru the rings & the engine overheated big time, next track day the engine blew. LOL

What brake fluid and pads do you recommend Brendon ? , If I change the pads I dont want a new pad thats going to demolish my rotors .

I guess sourcing them this week could be a struggle ..... :unsure:

What brake fluid and pads do you recommend Brendon ? , If I change the pads I dont want a new pad thats going to demolish my rotors . I guess sourcing them this week could be a struggle ..... :unsure:

QFM A1RM pads and some kind of motul brake fluid? The A1RM's I have on my GTR and they are insanely good

-D

QFM Hpx from GSR Rallysport would be a good start - very quick postage!!! Im sure you'd have them by weeks end if ordered today.

Cheap for what they are, in terms of stopping power.

As for fluid, Penrite SIN Brake Fluid 600 is cheap & readily available from Sprint, Autobarn, etc. Hi-temp goodness.

By the way - 'Speed Bleeder' brake bleeding nipples are the best invention, ever :)

spoke to GSL, really nice guys . They said A1RM would be better than HPX also, but they said dont bother for this saturday unless I can get my disc rotors cleaned up from the old pads.

^^ As per above. Not name dropping, but just got Shaun from Boostworx to do mine before Time-Attacks etc. In saying that, I've had the same pads for the past 2 track days and the Time-Attack!

As per Brendon's comments, just do a few hard laps..then back off and do a cool down lap. Remember not to apply your hand brake when in the pit area once your car is parked as it affects the brakes also (was told by Gary Baxter from the Supercar V8 utes).