SAU Community

GTR cam upgrade

Has anyone had any experience with upgrading cams in an r32 GTR from stock? With standard turbos, intercooler, injectors, is there any point? Currently mine runs 210 stock at all 4 wheels except for 1 bar boost, filters, exhaust and im not sure whether a cam upgrade would give a power improvement.

Probably not much improvement to be made in peak power.

Like adjustable cam wheels, you can probably change the shape of the power/torque curve.

I'd save money for upgrading the terbs first.

210kw at all 4 with pods, exhaust and 1 bar? Sounds high - I wasnt aware that sort of power was available with those mild mods

forgort to mention the power fc (oops) but, yep, the figures are off the dyno chart done by C & V in 4wd mode.

mick, [i could be mistaken?] but to run Step 2 Cams, I think there's alot more involved and may require head work for clearances etc etc... I'm not sure exactly what your after & what you plan on doing, however I dd go down this path myself for my internally stock GTR, and I found that generally, everyone seems to go for the Tomei 256's with a 9.1 lift on either side or a 256 & 260~.. Anything bigger and I think you start to loose alot of bottom end. Someone please confirm???

mickr32gtr,

There are reasonable gains to be had from the higher (9.2mm) lift 260deg Tomei shafts. 15-20rwkw or so up on the stockers.

The camshaft swap including tune should be around $800-$900 with the cams costing about $800 pair (greenline/nengun). The head need not be removed.

Still reckon best bang-for-buck for similar money would be a pair of used N1 (or equivalent) terbs.

For around $1,500, you'll get a lot more gain for your $$$. Especially given that you already have the PFC fitted.

Fit the cams later when you hunger for more power intensifies (and it will - trust me!)

Still reckon best bang-for-buck for similar money would be a pair of used N1 (or equivalent) terbs.  

For around $1,500, you'll get a lot more gain for your $$$.  Especially given that you already have the PFC fitted.

Fit the cams later when you hunger for more power intensifies (and it will - trust me!)

I'd love to install N1 turbos but where do you find them?

just got my set of N1's installed. found them on the forums. they set me back approx $3500+ which includes N1's, installation and tune. made 283rwkw @ 20psi.

max power from a set of N1's are apparently 300rwkw

previous mods were Z32's, cam gears, pfc, trust cat back, bigger in-tank fuel pump @ 1 bar making 210rwkw

i would also recommend going the bigger turbo route if you can afford it. the difference in power is amazing.

I'd love to install N1 turbos but where do you find them?

mick, [i could be mistaken?] but to run Step 2 Cams, I think there's alot more involved and may require head work for clearances etc etc... I'm not sure exactly what your after & what you plan on doing, however I dd go down this path myself for my internally stock GTR, and I found that generally, everyone seems to go for the Tomei 256's with a 9.1 lift on either side or a 256 & 260~.. Anything bigger and I think you start to loose alot of bottom end. Someone please confirm???

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...ead.php?t=32571

this thread may be of interest to you