SAU Community

The Very Basics

liquidator

G'day,

well I'm new to the forums and new to the skyline sceen, so I thought I'd ask some very basic and general questions.

bought my R33 GTS-T, get it in a week...

what sort of things should I remember when running it? do i need to have an idle time between starting and driving, and between idle and shut down? what sort of kms per oil/filter change? what sort of precautions should I take with it? (Asside from cops lol).

Any information would be great.

my car is a 1993 model R33 GTS-T 93,000kms.

As for any car:

- basically drive it from cold, ie letting it idle to warm up wastes fuel and does more damage to the engine.

- as long as you don't gun it right up to your destination, then you can simply arrive and turn off he engine. You DO NOT need a turbo timer.

- standard oil change interval is 5000. Filter every second oil change.

- don't nail it as soon as you get out the drive. Drive sensibly - 3 - 4k rpm max - until the temp gauge starts to register.

Just treat it like any other car. Service every 5000 to 7500kms, depending on the driving you do.

Just let it idle for a couple if seconds before driving off, and then take it easy for the first few mins until it comes up to temperature.

No need to let it sit and idle once you pull up, just drive sensibly for the few mins before you stop. This does more to cool things than letting it sit and idle, where temperatures can actually increase.

remember to run it on 98 octane fuel.

alright thanks. other things such as oil? what should I use? I've been using Valvoline oils in my last 2 cars, both have been little buzz boxes (ford festiva and mitsubishi lancer), but never had any oil problems with the valvoline, however are there any recommendations to oils?

10W-40 Synthetic

I run Penrite 10W-40 in my GT-R (couldn't find any SIN5, so using 10 tenths). You can run 5W-50 or 10W-50 if you wish.

I replace the filter every oil change, use Z442 as it's smaller and easier to replace (R32 GT-Rs are cramped lol). Z145 is the usual filter though.

every fricken turbo car I have bought had a turbo timer installed and the first thing I do when I get the car is turn the f**ker off! I had this guy ask me if he should get one for his turbo diesel hilux so i spent the next 30 minutes explaining to him why he dosent need one, that they are wank and that anyone in the know thinks your a lolfag. At the end of the convo hes like well I think ill get one just incase.... Assclown!!!

Always good to let any car idle for 30-60 seconds to let oil get around the engine...if you listen with a keen ear you will notice the engine note change and get a little quieter...