SAU Community

Need Help, Engine Problem !

Recently, during the long weekend. I swapped my engine with a used 350Z engine I got it off a mate. When I started the engine, the 1st time I rev it, it's fine but all the warning lights lighted up. (check eng, Slip, VCD off) And the 2nd time I rev my engine, I got fuel cut around 2500rpm. We tried the scan tool and it was the cam sensor (driver side) malfunction. But changing cam sensor didn't solve the issue.

Here's what I have done before the swap. Change valve covers both side due to leaking oil on spark plugs. I use back my Clutch and fly wheel, as my friend's is almost gone. We use back all my electrical wiring, which include the cam sensor. I used back my fuel line as his is bent. I also put in extractor since i have the engine out.

error code P0340. From the scan tool, it seems that timing kept running, unlike the passenger side. I drove it home with the sensor unplug before starting the car, and plug it back on when started, This seems fine and can rev, but around 4-5k rpm, I felt a tug, just like a fuel cut, but still can keep reving. of course all warning lights a on when the car starts.

Anyone have this issue before after changing something in their V?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be replacing the crank sensor if you can get one, even to borrow. If that doesn't fix the issue, you may have damaged the crank sensor wiring during the engine swap, it's very easy to wreck it on the steering rack when removing the engine. Make sure the crank sensor isn't rubbing on the flywheel pick up too, and that it's clean.

Otherwise you will have to fault find the cam angle sensor wiring. Make sure the ecu is plugged in properly and that there are no bent pins.

I would be replacing the crank sensor if you can get one, even to borrow. If that doesn't fix the issue, you may have damaged the crank sensor wiring during the engine swap, it's very easy to wreck it on the steering rack when removing the engine. Make sure the crank sensor isn't rubbing on the flywheel pick up too, and that it's clean.

Otherwise you will have to fault find the cam angle sensor wiring. Make sure the ecu is plugged in properly and that there are no bent pins.

Hey Scotty, how would you fault find the cam angle sensor wiring? my car will not start after new engine, turbo etc and has same p0340 error. Tried all 3 new sensors, spark plugs, new exedy clutch and it was aligned 100% on the pin etc. Even tried haltech plug and pro ecu and it wont turn over at all with that, with stock ecu you can hear it trying to fire but it wont start...

Nate, the issue I worked on was caused by the positioning of the crank sensor, try moving it around while someone cranks it and shim it into position if required. Otherwise you will have to start checking resistance from plug to ecu, or running temporary new signal wires to the ecu. Check voltage and earth pins for continuity. Do you have the wiring diagram?

Nate, the issue I worked on was caused by the positioning of the crank sensor, try moving it around while someone cranks it and shim it into position if required. Otherwise you will have to start checking resistance from plug to ecu, or running temporary new signal wires to the ecu. Check voltage and earth pins for continuity. Do you have the wiring diagram?

Spencer good idea re immobilizer, fuel is fine, scotty no i dont, i can try wiggling it so good idea !

Anything else to check? Sorry for steeling ur thread spencer, u get ur issue fixed?

I had an oscilloscope on the output and the waveform looked ok, but the ecu didn't like it at all. The sensor needed a cabletie shoved under one side to angle it a little or the engine wouldn't fire. No idea why. Something must have moved... I wasted 3 days chasing that fault, the owner was ready to burn the damn car.

I had an oscilloscope on the output and the waveform looked ok, but the ecu didn't like it at all. The sensor needed a cabletie shoved under one side to angle it a little or the engine wouldn't fire. No idea why. Something must have moved... I wasted 3 days chasing that fault, the owner was ready to burn the damn car.

I had a oscilloscope also on it and waveform does not look ok, this was before the new ecu/clutch and sensors.. May have changed since then, i dont know.

Just had a swap with another crankshaft sensor under the car... still same fault code coming up. and engine still in damage prevention mode. We Still can't find the fault. What's wrong with my car, I'll have to open my rocker valve cover tomorrow and check whether I have problem with the disc that the sensor sensing. I guess next step is the wiring.

Ah... same person.

Did you actually clear the ECU error codes before starting the car again?

Some of the sensors on the 350z are different, and have to swap them over to fit the V35 loom. I know, because we did a V35 VQ35de into a 350z. Did you check that out?

HI, Cam disk looked fine. I just open up the rocker cover to have a look.

Alex, what sensor are you talking about.. Yes I have clear the code before starting the car. All Electrical stuff was from my old engine. I guess next step is to check wiring issue.

From memory some different coolant sensors are used between the models, so we had to swap them. Are you still getting the P0340?

Google result, but I'm sure you've already covered this off:

Possible causes
- Faulty Camshaft Position Sensor
- Camshaft Position Sensor harness is open or shorted
- Camshaft Position Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty starter motor
- Starting system circuit
- Dead (Weak) battery

Read more: http://nissanhelp.com/diy/obd_codes/p0340_nissan.html#ixzz2PdR0s5UA

Have you tried a new battery? Looks like if it cranks too slow it may not fire properly. Did you miss any earth wires during the engine swap? Perhaps go over the whole loom just to make sure.

Drop the sensor plug and ecu plug and measure the resistance of the cam signal wire.

Drop the sensor plug and ecu plug and measure the resistance of the cam signal wire. <-- how do you do this?

From what i believe the cam angles and crank position are the same on v35/350z

The oil pressure sensor is different (2 pin vs 3pin) , not sure about the coolantant..

Camshaft Position Sensor harness is open or shorted <--- and how to do this correctly?

I measured from the ecu and unplugged it from the sensor, measured between the pins within the plug, seemed to be fine

As far as grounds;

From memory there are

1. two grounds near the power steering pump that go to front of timing case and rear timing case
2. ground on the drivers side header manafold that goes to the engine bay (this looks more like static lead..)
3. one ground from the wiring harness near the 2 and 4 coil pack that i screwed onto the rear timing case
4. i made a massive thick ground from neg term of battery to trans case
5. ecu is ground by its own loom and also by the mounting bracket.

You will definitely need a wiring diagram, better if you can overlay the V35 and 350z wiring diagrams and see any differences.

I will have a look for any info I can find, but I only have the V35 maintenance manual, not the wiring diags. If you can find a pdf and send me the link, I can have a look for you.

What did you do with the oil pressure sensor, just use your old one?

You will definitely need a wiring diagram, better if you can overlay the V35 and 350z wiring diagrams and see any differences.

I will have a look for any info I can find, but I only have the V35 maintenance manual, not the wiring diags. If you can find a pdf and send me the link, I can have a look for you.

What did you do with the oil pressure sensor, just use your old one?

used the oil pressure sensor that came with the engine.

I just used the 350z or g35 service manuals on the net, no specific diagrams.

Have found some ecu pinouts but they not 35 specific :/