SAU Community

Block Work -

I agree with AD. however still details missing, my advice separate the work Ie.. block + head, perhaps even send the block interstate. cannot recommend more Chilton Engineering in QLD. you will be very happy at the quality of work and the cost of it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks guys -

i will gonna spend some time sourcing one out around sydney i think.. might look into melbourn and qld pending on shipping..

as everyone else i am after quality work and happy to pay for good work - just wasnt sure what i would be looking at..

thanks guys -

if anyone recommend anyone in sydney that would be appreciated

West end performance in campbelltown , he is very busy and may take 8 weeks or so but he does a fair few rb's including some for just engine management, anyway that's where I would go. I think from memory he quoted 4 k for all that plus crank linishing and all measurements for bearings etc. fairly aggressive head port and valve relief and setting head up with supplied parts including valve clearance etc 02-4625 4100. Super flow heads at Liverpool were around 2 k for ported flow benched head that looked pretty nice too. I went different direction but have had other engine types done at these places with good results, hope it helps you in some way

Can't go past JHH RACING either in woodbridge QLD. From memory. They are considered one of the best engine building shops in Australia. And you'll find a lot of the top performance shops send there customers engines there to be built.look them up or there fb page. :)

just gonna put this out there - i have asked for a few quotes from JHH racing in qld and some recommended shops in sydney and melbourn -

so far i have had a reply from -

shop in melbourn - $5500 this quote had a lot of extra little things detailed in the quote which i was unsure about

i also received one back from a shop in sydney for $2500 ( i have had good feed back from this shop from jap cars to 9 sec drag cars and burn out car - but this seems very cheap? - should i be looking into this more?

i am waiting on more quotes i just think this is a bit low -

below is what i have sent to a few shops.

I am looking at having-
Block -
- acid washed/ cleaned
- bored/ honed out for 86.5mm pistons
- top flat and level
- crank balanced

HEAD -
- acid wased/ cleaned
- port and polished

Pully to be re drilled and moved on the block and the VCT feed set up -

and engine put back together (ie pistons rods and head all bolted up) i will be doing all external bolt ons

i will be supplying all parts -

Probably ok for them mostly assembling it when I asked it was just measured etc but I would assemble, keep looking u will work out the correct number but when in Sydney go see him, he's always done good work on other engines for me, very knowledgeable guy too

yeah the assembly charge was as much as all the other work.....

yet another shop was 2550 including assembley - $5000 grand is becomming more common -

might dig a little deeper on this one ($2550) - get it all in an email or quote

$5k is the correct ballpark. For $2.5k there is either a lot of stuff not being done (because scope of work not understood perhaps) or being done by the mentally retarded apprentice they keep in a cage out the back.

Remember that the head work uses a lot of hours, and that proper, clean assembly of an engine involves lots of putting it together, checking clearances, pulling it apart and putting it back together again type stuff. Then you have the time spent checking torque figures and so on. It is easy to use up a lot of time building any engine, let alone one that someone wants to thrash.

yeah my mate thinks he can put it togeather lol (not happening) think i might skip the low quote -

clearly i want it done right - just dont wanna be ripped off -

i am saving abit of time and money by stripping the head and block to pieces.

The head is where the money is, setting clearances if they are lucky cams in check clearance cams out install custom shims cams back in and hopefully it's right. Then there's the porting, cc'ing combustion chambers, changing valve seats, guides, three angle cut blah blah blah, I rekon you could sink 39 hours in a head easy

wow - i new there was a lot and it aint easy but i think its more then i even thought.

i guess thats a top price for that many hours work..

in his quote the head was - HEAD -
- acid wased/ cleaned
- port and polished -$660 Service head -$350 Tappet - $220 Weld oil gallery - $150

then total assembly was about 2700 - thats the best price apart from the other one wich i think something was majorly missing

Edited by Reese69