SAU Community

Gear box noises

NismoGirl

But i changed my G/B oil twice to fix it cos the amount of metal i found in the box was crazy. first time acted as a flush....

thats what i did as well, got the oil changed, then a few months later changed it again and put in the nulon g70. the 2nd time i did it the oil actually was still quite dirty, maybe from stuff in the gears. but now its fine.

o/k it looks like you might be up for one grand. But another way to do this might be to get another gearbox from an import wrecker, he might even give you a discount if you give him your old gearbox.

Most import gearboxes were working perfectly right up the instant of the BIG ACCIDENT, so should be fine in your car. The wrecker will probably sell your stuffed gearbox to a gearbox reconditioning place. They will strip it, for parts, and charge the next customer for new parts (yeah I know !)

It might save you heaps. The worst thing that can happen is your new gearbox also has a problem. In my experience import wreckers will take it back and give you another one. But be sure to get this in writing.

Well... as of last night I think the problem is worse than first thought... with the clutch anyway. The gearbox seems to be behaving itself now.

The clutch on the other hand isn't. Last night while just accellerating in 4th on the highway to get to the speed limit the car went a bit funny like revving and not going anywhere...

Then got onto the main road and accellorated again not thinking of what happened before.. but it happened again.

Do this mean my clutch is absolutely and utterly rooted??

And if so, should this problem be fixed sooner than we thought?

What happens when they start to slip under load is that there is terrific heat generated from friction. The tiny bit of clutch material that is left wears extremely rapidly, leaving you stranded on the side of the road.

It probably has a few short trips left in it though, just do not let it slip. Drive like a little 200 year old granny. If anyone blows their horn at you, just give them the finger !

Arrange something with your local happy smiling mechanic first thing tomorrow.

yups, same thing happened to me wen i had my celica. clutch was slipping and i didn't realise, still kept trying to rev it wondering why it didnt move hehe. would b reving it past 3000 rpm and the car would accelerate so slow :D

but then i just took it real easy on the clutch and kept going with it for a few weeks until i had cash to change it.

perhaps u should do the gearbox and clutch at same time to save some labour costs.

Guest Boxhead

erin dave here,

same thing happened in our old WRX. Was slipping a bit, and organised to get it replaced the next week. At the end of the week was driving it down the driveway when the car just decided not to move at all. Had to get it taken up on a truck. I would get something done asap or you will find your self stranded somewhere.