SAU Community

HOWTO: RB25DET High Boost mode with standard solenoid

paulr33

Went to do this and realised i dont have the Boost controller.

i have a line from Actuator to the pipe, and then a blocked off pipe from the BOV return.

If i ground the wire at the Plug, will it still tell the ECU to go 7psi?

at the moment im getting 5psi most of time, higher up in range, it might hit 7psi now and then.

ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Done this this morning on my 34 Neo. I'm hitting 0.71 bar at around 2900rpm. Big difference in response. More pickup.

Yep definitely gives it more down low but you notice the flattening out higher up. With a pod the induction noise is f'ing annoying though

I kinda like the idea of switchable boost. Got options :thumbsup:

Funny you should mention an R32 actuator cooz nearly a month ago I bought one and a decat pipe off a dude on this site but I haven't received them yet... Think I've been Stooged. Grrrrrr.

I know you're out there Mr Jones. angry.gif

I would just like to state that this "Mr Jones" was in reference to an individual whos actual surname was "Jones" but his username was not "Mr Jones". So if you ever encounter a user called "mrJones", please do not in anyway think that this statement was in reference to him.

Confused??? Good. :thumbsup:

incidentally, I did receive my actuator and decat shortly after posting the above post, and yeah if you can get an R32 actuator, do it.

Thankyou Mr Jones. (that's Mr Jones, not the username mrJones). :rofl:

Edited by Not a Pulsar

• 1 month later...

hey guys

im getting a R34 GTT auto (changeing it to manual) from japan. just want to if it has 2 stage boost some one told me it was only single if so i wound love to do this mod to my car but i want a little more then 2psi jump. is there any way to make the R32 wastegate to work with the 2stage to get it run 5psi to 10psi without hitting 14psi+ if not i saw some one got to 10psi with switchs but with 2 switchs and 2 solenoids cound i have 2 solenoids but have it goin to 1 switchto so it goes from 5/7psi to 10psi

any help wound be awsome

That someone was me and if you use a standard actuator and not an R32 one, then you will get the 5-7-10 or very similar.

That's what I had. :)

ok sweet i saw your photos you put up what was the finishing one and how do you think i wound be able to do it with just one switch

ok sweet i saw your photos you put up what was the finishing one and how do you think i wound be able to do it with just one switch

Not sure what you mean by "finishing one" but the twin solenoids looked like this ----->>> post-78856-0-51506100-1361961988_thumb.jpg

I guess you could get a 3 position switch and connect it so that: off would be normal 5-7, on 1 would be 7 and on 2 would 9/10 etc...

The way I had it, if I had the 2nd switch on, I had 8psi and then at 4500rpm, the 1st solenoid would open and go to up 10psi.

or

Have the 1st switch flicked for 7 and flick the 2nd for 9/10...

Now I have the R32 actuator, I just push the loud pedal for more. It is easier to buy the boost solenoids than the 32 actuators though and it's fun having a play. :D

I ment like the wiring like what went to where and wound the 10 psi be on when I switch it or after 4500rpm

how come I wound have to get a 3 point switch coundnt I just wire it to the on/off ones so when it's off I get 5-7 and when I flick It I get 10 all the time by grounding the 2 solenoids

Sorry not that good with this stuff so sorry if it seems noobish

Thanks for the help greatly appreciated

Not sure what you mean by "finishing one" but the twin solenoids looked like this ----->>> attachicon.gifDSC00600.JPG

I guess you could get a 3 position switch and connect it so that: off would be normal 5-7, on 1 would be 7 and on 2 would 9/10 etc...

The way I had it, if I had the 2nd switch on, I had 8psi and then at 4500rpm, the 1st solenoid would open and go to up 10psi.

or

Have the 1st switch flicked for 7 and flick the 2nd for 9/10...

Now I have the R32 actuator, I just push the loud pedal for more. It is easier to buy the boost solenoids than the 32 actuators though and it's fun having a play. :D

hey

Would this work to get me 5-7psi when i hit the switch it goes to 10psi

post-84221-0-78277800-1362384778_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the cope right lol

That looks to me like you would get 5psi all the time and 9/10 when you flick it.

If you want normal 5-7 with the option of 9/10 with a switch, leave one of them unswitched, piggyback off the power for the other one, put a switch on the earth of the second one.

so you will have normal 5-7 if the switch is not flicked, but if flicked, you will have 7 which will go up to 9/10 at 4500rpm.

That looks to me like you would get 5psi all the time and 9/10 when you flick it.

If you want normal 5-7 with the option of 9/10 with a switch, leave one of them unswitched, piggyback off the power for the other one, put a switch on the earth of the second one.

so you will have normal 5-7 if the switch is not flicked, but if flicked, you will have 7 which will go up to 9/10 at 4500rpm.

so with whast in the pic ill get a 5psi all the time then 10psi all the time when i have the switch on i was worry that it might get 7psi then 10psi when switched

You have both of them attached to the switch so they will only be earthed if the switch is flicked. The ECU will try at 4500 but won't be able to until you flick it.

With the ECU trying to make it 7psi it wont stuff anything up like timing or AFR or anything like that

Nope. It will only read the air coming in thru the AFM and do what it needs with that, whether it's 5 or 7 or 10, doesn't matter.

The ECU tries to earth the solenoid whether it's connected or not but only reacts to what happens next.

I no longer have a solenoid plugged in but the ECU would still be switching the earth. I read somewhere (perhaps this very thread) that you could use this to turn on anything you want at 4500rpm eg. a light or a water spray on your intercooler etc... siren, smokescreen, ejector seat, missile launcher... :D

• 5 weeks later...

Did this mod to my 34 on the weekend. Spools much faster and louder now and always hits 9 psi every time. Didn't bother with a switch, just cut the ground wire and earthed it out. If you have a stock skyline and haven't done this mod yet get on it. The only thing I'm thinking now is isn't the stock actuator which is no longer doing anything just taking up space? Why can't it be removed and just connect the two vac lines together? It's the same as removing it to install an ebc except until I get to that my stock boost actuator is doing the job on its own.