SAU Community

Oil Coolers

RB2600

Hi everyone,

Would like to get a feel of what people are using in terms of oil coolers, sandwich plates in particular.

I'm quite sold on a 19 row for 4 hot laps, running Castrol Edge 10W-60 on approximately 300rwkw and

350rwkw+ when it's tuned for E85. Cooler to be mounted driver side behind indicator. Happy to be

advised otherwise if that is not sufficient.

I have not come across many sandwich plates that include the thermostat, oil temp + press sensor holes

and cooler line fittings all in one.

One that I have found is from MPR:

http://forum.twincam.org.au/topic/3392-oil-filtercooler-thermostatic-sandwich-plate/

Seems to be the go, but just wondering if there are alternatives.

Cheers

Michael

Mine has the oil sensors and everything fitted to the block! It is the Genuine Greddy sandwich plate with Speedflow fittings, MSCN black braided lines and just a JJ core... Should be more pics and info in my build thread somewhere (Link is in my sig)...

This is not a perfect setup but works fine so far!

Mine has the oil sensors and everything fitted to the block! It is the Genuine Greddy sandwich plate with Speedflow fittings, MSCN black braided lines and just a JJ core... Should be more pics and info in my build thread somewhere (Link is in my sig)...

This is not a perfect setup but works fine so far!

Similar to this?

http://www.rhdjapan.com/trust-greddy-engine-oil-block-adapter-type-e-57mm-51270

That is what Charles recommneded for me off the forums

Though Michael's one also has an inbuilt thermostat which is awesome

Haha! Yeah I was just on your page 2 seconds ago! Neat setup!

Does it take long for you to get to temp on the street?

I would say thermostat is mandatory for me considering I'll still be driving the car on the street.

My friend with a 19 row with no thermostat and a piece of cardboard in front of the cooler takes quite a while to get to temp still.

Haha! Yeah I was just on your page 2 seconds ago! Neat setup!

Does it take long for you to get to temp on the street?

I would say thermostat is mandatory for me considering I'll still be driving the car on the street.

My friend with a 19 row with no thermostat and a piece of cardboard in front of the cooler takes quite a while to get to temp still.

Mine runs a thermostat! It does take a while to get up to temp but it has a pretty good cooling system setup now ;)

I am due to replace my engine/coolant thermostat as the car has been running cold so i assume once that is all done it should all work together nicely!

The Greddy one DOES have a thermostat?...

SPECIFICATIONS:
Application: Engine Side
Type: E (Standard Oil Cooler, Non-Relocation Type, Internal Thermostat)
Union: AN8, AN10, AN12
Center Bolt: 3/4x16UNF, M20xP1.5

A DIY cooler set up will cost less than or around $400.

$140 for Greddy Sandwich plate
$150-180 for 19 row Mocal cooler (I bought Mocal because its said that every cooler has been tested to hold 180psi before leaving factory)
$10 x 4 -10AN fittings from Torques UK

3m of black nylon braided hoses

The Greddy thermostat opens up fully at 80 degrees and I think slightly open before that. It is also been tried and tested by many and proven to be very good lol

The Greddy one DOES have a thermostat?...

SPECIFICATIONS:

Application: Engine Side

Type: E (Standard Oil Cooler, Non-Relocation Type, Internal Thermostat)

Union: AN8, AN10, AN12

Center Bolt: 3/4x16UNF, M20xP1.5

A DIY cooler set up will cost less than or around $400.

$140 for Greddy Sandwich plate

$150-180 for 19 row Mocal cooler

$10 x 4 -10AN fittings from Torques UK

3m of black nylon braided hoses

The Greddy thermostat opens up fully at 80 degrees and I think slightly open before that. It is also been tried and tested by many and proven to be very good lol

Yeah sounds like a good combo!

I thought it was 86 degrees or something but that is pushing my memory and my memory is generally useless :P

Yeah sounds like a good combo!

I thought it was 86 degrees or something but that is pushing my memory and my memory is generally useless :P

From my shitty memory, I thought it's 80 haha, but I know they slowly open up before it gets to 8x degrees.

Charles saves the day

I can't read haha

Lol you cant read, we cant remember! Must be an SAU thing.....

But yes they do have a thermostat! The guys at Greddy were awesome to deal with too!

If you want to run gauges make sure you order the adapters for them (Where the blanking plugs are in the image on my thread)

What gauges would you run? Because I already have oil temp on my MFD, then oil pressure on my cluster, is there anything else that's cool and worth installing? haha

Not in the oil block! Sounds like you have it covered.... I just ran the 3 factory location gauges with Oil Temp, Oil Pressure and Water temp!

• Like 1

Next project is to protect the back of the core from rocks from the front tyre.... And THEN try work out some ducting to get it some airflow as we ran it nice and high to keep it out of harms way.... I wanted to locate some of the vents that Andrew has in the front of his standard GTT bar but no luck so far! Looks like an aftermarket foglight surround or something but would be good as a small duct for airflow!