SAU Community

Aeromotive 340L Intank Pump.

jamesdt

I've currently got a walbro 255 intank pump and my cars going to run a flex set up shortly so ill be looking to change the pump. For a car running between 400-450 rwhp is the walbro e85 pumps over kill for that power level? I hear some of use guys run into fuel over heating problems on e85 and having to run a fuel cooler set up and some of use running variable fuel pump speed controllers to try help the situation. Just seeing if the aeromotive 340 pump will be suitable for my power level and be safe? Cheers

The 255's are a good pump, and handle the e85 perfectly imo, perhaps it would almost make your power. I can't say the same for the Deatschwerks 300 pump, I had to replace a seized one the other day. Hopefully the Aeromotive gives you a better run.

Personally I would go for the $200 Walbro 460L e85 pump straight up. At least you know they will warrant any failures if you run ethanol as it's designed for it specifically.

The 255's are a good pump, and handle the e85 perfectly imo, perhaps it would almost make your power. I can't say the same for the Deatschwerks 300 pump, I had to replace a seized one the other day. Hopefully the Aeromotive gives you a better run.

Personally I would go for the $200 Walbro 460L e85 pump straight up. At least you know they will warrant any failures if you run ethanol as it's designed for it specifically.

Just this one Scotty? Have you heard of any more of these failing? Hoping it was a one off as I have a 300 ready to go on, heard they were a good unit.

Yes, only the one failure. It lasted 500k's or so over a few months on ethanol, finally seizing after getting noisy for a week and left him broken down on the freeway. I took it back today so we shall see how good their 3 year warranty really is.

Tried ringing VPW today to see how far away the DW400 ethanol pump is as they don't have stock still, they didn't answer as usual. Why it's listed in the catalogue is anyones guess. Hopefully it is the same Walbro 255 body size as the 460L won't fit in the stagea pump holder.

To fail in 500k's it must have had a major fault in the unit. The DW300 is listed as ethanol compatible so surely they must stand by there warranty as a random dud pump, unless there was contaminants which you would have seen anyway. One of the reasons I bought mine is because I figured it would fit in the Stagea holder. I'd be interested to here how you go either way, if the new 400 is the same body size that could be a good thing.

sounds more than good enough for my needs, how did you go about modifying the factory fuel lid for larger wires to the pump? or did you just run larger wires to the factory plug on the fuel lid?

some of the guys end up melting connectors on the fuel lid after fitting the walbro e85 pump with it drawing to much current.

Yes, of course. I have fitted 5 or 6 to various cars since they were released, with no issues other than this one. Unfortunately getting warranty is subject to them agreeing there was an issue, $10 says they find "crud' in the pump, even though it had a sock firmly attached. :/