SAU Community

P0840 Pressure Sensor Fail

jona1986

Need help in this guys. Was driving normally a few days ago and suddenly the light comes on in dashboard. Gears limited to 1 3 5 but not top speed limit. Talked to a few people and was told that Dodson and Willall both supply the sensors to fix the issue.

Problem is, I am from Melbourne. So it comes down to only two choices:

1. Tow the car to either Willall in Adelaide or Just Jap Auto (Dodson dealer) in NSW. This way is safe but I have never towed a car to other states. Obviously cost factor is going to be higher and its also troublesome somehow (I am really busy).

2. Purchase the sensor part from either Willall or Dodson and find a skilled local workshop. But I have no idea who has experience (thats why i am asking...) or should be skilled enough to have their first go. I favor this more as it would make my life so much easier.

So, I am hoping if anyone here could give me some advices... Pretty sure I am not the first person who encountered this problem in Victoria and hopefully someone could share their experience with me. It seems to be not the end of the world job and just need a skilled workshop to change the plug and play sensor (if I am not wrong from my research).

Got two questions here:

1. Does anyone know how the job is done? Drop the whole gearbox or just part of it? Gear box oil to be flushed as well? Any others?

2. Is there anyone who has done the fix in Melbourne? Was it successful? Where was it done? Cost factors?

3. Is there anyone who has towed their car to Willall from Melbourne? Around how much was the damage in dollars including the labour, parts and towing fee?

4. If by any chance I am going to try to do it in a work shop in Melbourne? Any recommendations? MPC? Techsport?

Would appreciate any type of input. As any of you could imagine I am quite panic on this matter. It sounded like doom day at the start as I heard the whole gearbox needs to be replaced (dealership way of handling). But good news was its just the sensors, however where to fit the sensors also sounded like a pain....

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Yeah Limp mode sucks, I had the same problem resulting in the box being removed and it turned out the pressure sensors were fine. It was the insulation on a wire inside had frayed resulting in the faulting. Over $3,000 later I was back on the road... (GTR tax)

If you are pulling the box out I would recommend checking/upgrading the other small things that can cause problems. Dodson are all over these things. Makes sense to upgrade once

All the best

Yeah Limp mode sucks, I had the same problem resulting in the box being removed and it turned out the pressure sensors were fine. It was the insulation on a wire inside had frayed resulting in the faulting. Over $3,000 later I was back on the road... (GTR tax)

If you are pulling the box out I would recommend checking/upgrading the other small things that can cause problems. Dodson are all over these things. Makes sense to upgrade once

All the best

Thanks for the input. Which error code did you get? As far as i know there are a few different error codes that results in limp mode and some even have limited top speed. Just trying to see if we are the same situation. $3000, yea take it as GTR tax. Just hope that it doesnt get larger than that...

Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

Just an update and conclusion. Went to Racepace for it at last. Took about 1 week including to wait for parts etc. This is a list of cost break down:
1. Dodson sensors x 3 and kit (although only 1 failed I decided to change all 3 just incase the other 2 fail) $1200
2. Labour $1500
3. Gear box oil refill (depending what oil u use)

So all up about a mid 3 grand to high 3 grand fix.