SAU Community

Antidepressants

t5iv

I recall chatting to my supp-store mate about B3 a week or so ago. He mentioned a lot of pre-workouts and thermogenics have niacinamide instead of niacin as niacin can have some uncomfortable "side effects" like hot flushes etc. That sound right to you Terry?

Don't wanna derail this thread though :P

Back on topic - DRUGZ

Correct.

The Nicotinamide (aka Niacinamide) version of B3 doesn't cause vasodilatation.

But the Nicotinic Acid (aka Niacin) version can, if taken on an empty tummy or with sweets or with alcohol or above 50-100mg at a time.

Vasodilatation occurs when there's a sudden surge of blood flow into the peripheral parts of your body eg skin, cranium & let's not forget the penis!!! LOL

When it does happen, it tends to linger for about 45 minutes. For this reason, some people use it for chillblains or for diabetics to increase blood circulation in the legs.

It's actually a great way of tricking the boss to give you the rest of the day off! One of my patients did that so she could see her son perform at school!

Another couple of patients use 5HTP (at night) and B3 (through the day) so the voices in their heads don't come back.

Some others use the pair so that shyness turned into controlled sensitivity.

Some others to convert aggression into assertiveness.

Self-awareness and self-control become a platform to then build self-esteem.

There have also been some cases where chronic mania depressive people have been cured. From memory they were taken off the anti depressants and the dose was 9000 to 12000 mgs of niacin per day with no adverse side effects apart from flushing.

May seem like an odd/offensive question but I don't mean it to be....Are you currently or have been on the gas haha? I ask basically out of curiosity as I have a mate who becomes chronically depressed after the use of steroids and I can share his personal experience and resolution....PM me if you'd prefer.

Isn't "gas" another term for speed (amphetamine)? Not sure what that has to do with steroids :P

That being said, steroids and post-cycle depression isn't really uncommon - especially if PCT isn't done correctly, or god forbid at all.

Low testosterone can be a huge contributor to depression in men, perhaps it'd be an idea to have your hormone levels checked out OP?

I'm not sure as I don't use amphetamines haha. Over here in WA steroids are commonly referred to as gas :)

Basically what you said is spot on. He didn't use PCT at all! Told me it was not needed....I laughed him into concern haha and had him get on it fast. Nothing cool about HRT (hormone replacement therapy) later on in life.

He would wake up feeling like sh*t everyday and call me voicing his concerns... BUT, in saying that PCT itself can also cause depression as well. So it's something not be taken lightly.

Maybe I should have been more detailed with that. Yes, you are right. Incorrect dosages and timing can lead to depression. Certain people are also affected differently by the different drugs available for PCT. I agree with all of what you have said apart from the estrogen/test imbalance.... There will be an imbalance as the whole point of PCT is to jump start your bodies ability to start producing test again ;) not to mention avoid health risks and prevent you becoming an estrogen flooded bi*ch once the test from last jab wears off :) or maybe that's what you were trying to say.... derppp

Depends on what you consider depression to be in that case as well. I mean, if he's been on elevated hormone levels for long enough, returning to "normal" may feel bloody horrible in comparison to how he felt while on cycle :)

• 1 month later...

To deal with depression, engage yourself in regular workouts, prefer raw food over processed food and share your problems with your friends and family. Avoid stimulants, accept the things you cannot change and remember to laugh.

^^^ For reactive depression yes.

For clinical depression (and a professional should be able to ask the right Qs about your ancestry), the above give slight or temporary relief only.

"Genetic" overrides "Nurture".

And the tragedy is, certain recreational drugs affect one's genes/chromosomes - some temporarily; some permanently.

Terry, I don't suppose you'd be able to recommend anyone in Canberra for my housemate to see for his bipolar (or whatever he has, which is the concern)? Whoever he was seeing most recently prescribed him Valproate, which has more or less stopped having any desired effects, and upon discussing this with the professional (psychiatrist?) he was met with more or less the most disgusting bullshit I've ever heard come from a "qualified" person in such a field - ESPECIALLY since it was directed towards his patient.

Unrelated (but on topic), I can definitely attest to anaerobic exercise greatly elevating overall mood and sense of well being. Dragged my ass out of bed an hour early this morning to force myself to go for a ride around the lake (only 5.8km - 13 mins) and immediately upon completing this short ride I concluded it shall be done EVERY MORNING. f**k I feel good, one of the first mornings in a very long time I feel as though it's going to be a good day (though I highly doubt it will be, hahahaha)

Physical activity that simultaneously involves mental processing and tactics > endorphin release = serotonin, phenylethylamine, noradrenalin, acetylcholine, dopamine & in the resting state, GABA

Acetylcholine also helps to prevent dementia.

Housemate:- I'll be interested in the results of these tests ie B12 levels, Folic Acid levels, sensitivity to gluten/alpha gliadin as possible causes of bipolar depression and hypomania

And does his mother have erratic swings? (maybe even father somewhat?)

People who suffer clinical depression should never be permitted to blame themselves. It isn't their fault. A genetic 'short straw' means that it can't be their fault.

Interstate, I know of practitioners who work like the above, in Melbourne and Eatons Hill (Qld), but not Canberra I'm afraid Troy. > Nice of you to be concerned enough to enquire :)

Thanks Terry :)

I believe his mother is a bit loopy in the head, though to what degree and cause I don't know. It's not depression or similar for her though I don't believe.

I'll pass that on to him and see what he says. Unfortunately he's lost a lot of faith in people of these professions, and he's unbelievably stubborn in his ignorance of human nutrition or just how the body works (mostly because he's one of the common exceptions to a lot of the "rules", particularly those regarding metabolic rate of food > energy > fat). I can already see his thoughts on the suggestion that perhaps he isn't eating the right foods to get the nutrients you mentioned (which I can almost guarantee is 100% true, regardless of what role it's playing in his issues)....his ignorant attitude of denial regarding this science actually really f**ks with MY head lol, so much so that I'd rather not discuss it with him in the slightest. But I will :P