SAU Community

Bought Stagea Nm35

ShonE

Mine has done 100k Kms (doubtful of the number) and turbo is noisy. When I first got the car it was concerning but just got to live with it. I like the sound it makes.

Sometimes it makes this funny whoshing sound but yeah so far its been ok.

I've got some cash set aside for when it goes but I'm going to put off high flowing till maybe mid next year.

Mine did more than 60,000km making exactly the same noise.

When it did finally die it gave me fair warning, & I drove it for another 2000km before I replaced it.

The turbo is a known thing, and hardly the end of the world, just budget for a replacement.

To put it in perspective; if you owned a Mk5 Golf; the 100,000km service is just over $3000.

Thats cool, as i said i dont mind the noise, its just the feel that the thing might break any time that bothers me.. what kind of warning was it, i just wouldnt like to break somewhere to far from home etc.

I have only heard one turbo that didn't make that noise, it was probably one that had been replaced in Japan before import. The rear bearing is what makes the noise afaik and is the source of most failures.

If you can drill the banjo bolts out to around 1.5mm from .9mm they will be much less likely to block, but if the engine has been serviced regularly you should have no problems.

Highflow turbo's are re-manufactured from your existing housings, as there are no replacement or bolt on turbo's for our car. $880 is pretty cheap for a custom machined turbo built in Australia imo. The labour can be expensive due to the turbo's location.

Thanks man... So seems like it can go for another 100 000km but it might also die in the next 100km... The car has been serviced regularly since imported but who knows back in Jap.. As i said i just wouldnt like it to break while im 1000kms far from home , and i do long fishing trips from time to time..

Anyway is it a big job drilling that hole, and can someone that does it give approximate condition on turbo and its possible lifespan :)...I wouldnt mind doing some work now, but didnt have those 2k in plans yet...

I have an M35 here atm with a turbo failure, it was driven home to Melbourne from Bathurst with no issues (other than being gutless.) Sometimes though, the shaft snaps further back into the turbo, and the oil seal dumps most of your sump into the exhaust. Luck of the draw. Most times you could drive it home at least.

I have an M35 here atm with a turbo failure, it was driven home to Melbourne from Bathurst with no issues (other than being gutless.) Sometimes though, the shaft snaps further back into the turbo, and the oil seal dumps most of your sump into the exhaust. Luck of the draw. Most times you could drive it home at least.

Yeah thats ok i guess... My previous bad experience was with that saab with turbo literally exploding i thought the car was on fire with all the smoke coming from the back...

So you reckon its worth drilling those bolts? How much should i be looking at for that and also could you tell the condition of the turbo so i could at least know what to expect?

thanks again

It would take an hour or two to drain the oil, drop the sump, and drill the 3 banjo bolts. The worst case would be drilling them too large and pushing oil out the seals around the turbo shaft, in which case you need to source a standard banjo bolt again.

There is no way to tell the bearing condition from inspection, you can only tell from the noise. (a ball bearing shouldn't make those noises.) When the bearing wears enough the turbine or compressor wheel will contact the housing and make a more pronounced grinding noise, the wheel will be damaged beyond repair not long after.

Yeah, mines been loud since I got it and done nearly 30k more, sounds exactly the same. Pretty sure I read on this forum that the guys that changed their turbo suction pipe found that the banshee scream disappeared afterwards. Might also be less noticeable after highflow or normally you'd do the suction pipe at same time anyway.

I've got a suction pipe with stock turbo, makes no noise difference, although my aftermarket BOV doesn't make a high pitched noise anymore when it flutters.

It would take an hour or two to drain the oil, drop the sump, and drill the 3 banjo bolts. The worst case would be drilling them too large and pushing oil out the seals around the turbo shaft, in which case you need to source a standard banjo bolt again.

There is no way to tell the bearing condition from inspection, you can only tell from the noise. (a ball bearing shouldn't make those noises.) When the bearing wears enough the turbine or compressor wheel will contact the housing and make a more pronounced grinding noise, the wheel will be damaged beyond repair not long after.

so guess drilling isnt DIY job, guess i could drain the oil and stuff.. But yeah how much should i be looking at, could you that for me or anywhere i could take my car?

Edited by ShonE

Also does anyone know much about converting maps and stuff... This guy told me to get this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Car-HD-DVB-T-MPEG4-H-264-Digital-TV-Tuner-Receiver-Box-w-2x-Aerial-4-AU-UK-EU-K1-/310699343299?pt=AU_Gadgets&hash=item48571fbdc3

And he will install it and make the screen usable...

I have a brand new HD digital tuner/mp3 box for sale if you are interested? I bought it to go into an M35 I had for a little while.. My current M35 didn't come wuth a screen, so it's still sitting in the box. PM me if interested or you need more info. I'm also located in SE Melbourne. Cheers, Chris.