SAU Community

Can Someone Please Tell Me Where This Rb30 Come Out Of.

sultanaz

Can someone PLEASE tell me where this RB30 Come out of.
It's driving me insane, i was told it was a vl series 2 block, but i dont believe it is after ringing holden.
bought it off a shop and had it worked on.. they said it was great block rarraa.

Don't want to really mention the shopp at the present moment.

That aside , heres the number 045903a

Please help me if you can.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Can't really see from the pics but are you worried about where the second idler needs to go (exhaust cam side)? It does look like you don't have the machined spot but there are ways around it.

ive been unlucky because my block had casting marks where the idler pulley goes.. usuallly thry are flat. i even asked anthony from dahtone and he said his never seen a block with them marks on it...

its always nice to know where thr block come from

Edited by sultanaz

ive been unlucky because my block had casting marks where the idler pulley goes.. usuallly thry are flat. i even asked anthony from dahtone and he said his never seen a block with them marks on it...

its always nice to know where thr block come from

So why didn't you take a photo of that area, and ask the question directly? Anyway, I guessed it! points to me. ... Like I said the are ways around it. seeing as engine is assembled machining it might be a little difficult but still an option, the other is to make a solid bracket to hold Idler or go nizpro style and use idler and tensioner above water pump. That would be the easiest but finding a correct belt would become the problem. Edited by superben

as it is a series one block I don't think you have a turbo oil feed plug there? I assume you could drill into the gallery and tap it but I wouldn't do that now as it's assembled. I would tee piece off oil pressure valve.

No such thing as a series 1 or 2 block.

The early non turbo blocks had no oil feed hole and water hole drilled and tapped in the block.

Later non turbo blocks did, like the original turbo blocks, this is what most people call a series 2 for some reason, Holden did many running changes during the production years to the blocks.

How you can tell yours is a later block (like mine) is by looking at the first picture, the hot side.

Between welsh plug 3 and 4 is a drilled and tapped hole a little below them, thats your oil feed and the 2 holes above one another after the last welsh plug on that side, if they are drilled and tapped, that's your water feed.

Early non turbo blocks were not drilled and threaded in those places, they just had a cast area where you could dill and tap them yourself, you needed to do this yourself, later blocks that everyone called series 2 blocks had these drilled and threaded from the factory.

Going by your pics they look drilled and threaded......if so its a later block that everyone calls a series 2 block.

Edited by GTRPSI

The other difference on the blocks is where the Idler bolts on. You want to use a block with the oil feed plugged ready to use and the Idler location machined and tapped. Perhaps people call it a series2 block as the series 2 vl probably has the changes on the block, so not so much the block is series 2 but that it come feom a series 2 car.