SAU Community

Mlr's Nb Mx5

Purchased a short boss and a quick release for the steering wheel so I don't have to dislocate my knees when I get in and out with the fixed seat.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

:rant:Don't buy the eBay short quick release, initially it was good but after only a few days it got enough play in it for me to take it off and bin it

The short boss is awesome though :yes:

Thanks for the heads up. Apparently the D1 quick releases are the way to go.

I had a D1 on the old boat, only problem was it made the steering wheel sit to far forward, and even with a short boss on the 5 a D1 would be to far forward and put me in a somewhat cramped position for driving, which would be bad.

Works bell make a short release which may be a option.

Hey mate there is a really narrow one now available:

http://justjap.com/index.php/d1-spec-slim-steering-wheel-quick-release-black.html

I have one here, if you have the other style I'd be happy to swap (because I prefer the deeper style). It is 22mm deep vs the old style which is 56mm deep.

• 5 weeks later...

Not much happening car wise, tax time soon so updates will abound, meanwhile whilst being bored and having some alloy sheet left over from the CAI box I made up a lower section for the radiator to stop the air taking the easiest route and passing under the radiator.

post-52431-0-72874800-1403435920_thumb.jpg

Put in some void spacers (like pineapples) into the diff bushes, there was a knock when hitting rough roads, they were cheap and I was bored.

Turns out the knock was from the hard top banging about, tightened up hardtop and fitted some rubber bushing in the latches and fixed the knocking on rough roads.

LOLOLOLOLOLLOOLLOLOLOLL,LOLL

• Like 1

Got another power steering rack that I am in the process of depowering.

Why, I took a non power steering MX5 for a drive and liked the feeling better than power assisted.

Its a easy enough thing to do, a little bit of fun with a grinder and a lot less clutter in the engine bay.

Plus I remove about 8kg of weight which while not a lot is still weight loss.

• 2 weeks later...

Removed lower parts of the void spacers, @ around 3500-6000 off throttle there was huge noise and vibration.

Left the top ones in and now there is no noise.

Made Mark angry.

• 5 weeks later...

Need to fab up a better air box, moved from cold side to hot side due to torque loss, the little girl needed more intake length for her to run at optimum. .

Also new wheel and quick release because I wanted to waste some cash which should have gone to the diff fund.

post-52431-0-65116400-1407831261_thumb.jpg

post-52431-0-37136700-1407831283_thumb.jpg

It seems that scuffing and cleaning with grease and wax remover isn't enough for the VHT manifold paint to be happy enough to stick to the headers.

I blame the blue paint stuff that the headers were coated with from new, I shall leave it for a while and hope that the heat gets rid of it, then Ill remove them and prep them again and hope it sticks.

I might go for a long drive and find some twisties to get some heat in them.

The headers have also made the car a fair bit louder too, I believe I may be the oldest ricer in NSW.

Oh, and like usual the straight swap "bolt on headers" needed to be shortened and the flange clocked for them to fit.

googling found this, just need to get some cardboard and knock up a template and get some alloy or poly sheet.

Luckily I have no stupid AC or PS to get in the way.

post-52431-0-02452300-1407923651_thumb.jpg

The car is noisy as it is, if it was just a track car I would do it but I enjoy going for long cruises, any more noise than what's going on at the moment is a non no.

The 5 is noisier than my old stripped out boat, it also has about 320 less killerwasps than he boat, I am enjoying it more than the old boat though.

Mainly because it hasn't broken yet.

Need to fab up a better air box, moved from cold side to hot side due to torque loss, the little girl needed more intake length for her to run at optimum. .

Also new wheel and quick release because I wanted to waste some cash which should have gone to the diff fund.

Was the torque loss that bad?

I was going to do something similar in my car but if the torque loss is that bad I might mod the K&N intake I have instead.