SAU Community

Bosch 040 Failed 1 Year Old

Nii San

hi all having fuel pump problems again my 040 in tank pump has started being really noisy hot or cold and wont pass 15 psi boost this will eventually drop off more and pump will die. (this is what happened last time)

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/414906-got-the-buzzing-fuel-pump-problem-r33-gtst/

its barely a year old, ive spoken to the mechanic that fitted the last one and the tank wasnt dirty and ive never run the tank below a qtr. the day it failed ( i noticed the noise) was stinking hot but i only drove it for 15 mins and the fuel was up near half way.

i guess my question is why are these pumps failing? i thought of bosch as a good brand but i will be switching to walbro now as im not spending $300 a year on pumps.

(also i believe there was another sau member who was chewing through bosch pumps and never had a problem after going walbro)

anyways thanks for any feedback or suggestions.

Edited by Nii San

The main issue with the 040 is the integrated filter that can't be cleaned. I have heard of these being hacked out, but then you have no pre-filtering before the pump, which will shorten it's life considerably.

I agree, the Walbro 255 pumps are very good at what they do, as long as you get a genuine one. The newer 400L is an amazing upgrade over nearly every other intank, but these fail quickly with e85 use, hence Walbro released the 460L e85 tolerant design, with sealed power and e85 fitting kit. Any of these will outlive the 040 if fitted with the recommended filter sock imo.

The 255's are around $100 and will flow around 300kw ethanol and 350kw petrol, the larger 400-460 (around $200) will flow 430kw on ethanol and 550 odd on petrol. Make the choice based on projected power output, as you don't want more fuel flowing around the system than you need. You might even need to look at fuel cooling if you have higher fuel flow than your engine's requirements.

Any aftermarket pump will require hard wiring to battery voltage, through a relay and fuse. (there are a few 'How to's' getting around this forum.)

If you would like me to price up some pumps from my wholesaler, drop me a PM, you might be surprised how cheap they are available. ;)