SAU Community

Fitting An Oil Temp Sensor Without Sandwich Plate

rb2534

I fitted some Defi gauges a little while back with the intention of fitting an oil cooler but never got around to doing so and felt if my temps (with light track work) never got too bad I wouldn't worry with the cooler. But as the factory Nissan temp sensor is M12 x1.25 thread and the defi sensor is 1/8NPT I could never fit the temp sender and effectively had a useless gauge. I spent ages trying to find an adapter through just about every gauge, fitting, performance site and store within Australia and could only come up with suppliers from the UK with shipping worth more than I could justify. I could find adapters that were M12 x 1.50 and M12 x 1.00 but not 1.25 as it's a very odd size.

Finally I found a local supplier on ebay that sells them - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Metric-Male-M12x1-25-To-Female-1-8-NPT-Also-Use-For-Pfira03-Fitting-/151195760051?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2333f835b3

All I did was fit an o-ring around the M12 thread that goes into the factory oil temp sensor location to seal it up (thread sealant would do the same but I didn't have any) and thread tape around the Defi sensor. I was a bit worried as the sensor tip did not stick out a great deal from the end of the adapter and not getting a true reading but the adaptor looks to thead in just as far as the factory sender and after taking my car for a run it seemed to work near spot on.

The temps warmed up relatively similar and after a good freeway run with 30degree ambient temps in Adelaide the oil temp was within 5 deg C to the coolant temp which is what I expected to see.

Edit: Sorry, you said it was M12 thread, I thought it might have been the stock oil pressure sensor but with that thread I dont think it can be, pretty sure Nissan used the same 1/8 sensor for all Skylines

Edited by 89CAL

• 2 weeks later...

There is an easy way for rb 20

Dunno if rb25 is the same

post-89755-0-51240000-1392205460_thumb.jpg

I decided that the sensor is going to get pretty good accuracy, but take an extra 2 or 3 seconds for the temp to get there.

Fluids are good at transferring heat. Even though its not in the stream of oil, it works very well.

Edited by D.I.Y. Mik

I remote mounted my 2 oil pressure sensors. Just used a -4 braided line (I think it was -4 or -3) and put a fitting in the block and a T piece and the 2 sensors up the top. Pretty much the same as above, but remote mounting it for easier access. Probably not as good for oil temp, but works for oil pressure

20131122_172442_zps3616830d.jpg

Yeah havent had any problems with strange oil pressure readings. They are pretty much spot on where I would expect them to be.

Originally was going to just tee it off the block but this seemed smarter in case anything ever went wrong its so easy to fix :)

I've painted everything since then so its all black now bar the braided line, can just see it in this photo, it blends in pretty well now

20140119_103121_zpst7g7tgdy.jpg