SAU Community

New Garrett 3071R experiences..

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah quite a few people have 240-260rwkw on ns.com with the GT-RS. Thats including HKS Step 1 cams, manifolds and the usuals. The GT-RS is a serious turbo, arguably the best for the SR20 in terms of response and power. I wonder how it would be an RB25!

http://members.iinet.net.au/~jim.barber/pi...power_boost.jpg

Check that out, > 1bar at 3500rpm. Nice nice...

Search ns.com for more info.

here is some more info I received from ATP

Matt:

The GT3071R has a 71mm compressor wheel and is rated at

45lb/min. It has a better wheel match than the GT30R but

has the same turbine wheel as the GT3037S. Yes, it is a

good choice over the 2835 as it will prevent your 2.5L

engine from choking up at the top end.

The Neon kit runs a .63 A/R but only because that head

flows like a 1.8 or 2.0L. You should be fine with an .82

turbine housing.

Shipping cost is $125 to AU.

Thanks!

ATP

I was looking at GT3071R turbo and thought wow this looks good. I had a look at the website with the dyno info but found something a little strange:

"The dyno data:

Stock Dyno on a typical SRT-4 is 225 HP @ the wheels"

I then had a look at the stock specs for this car on dodge.com and it was 230 horsepower. I have never seen a car loose only 5HP through the drivetrain. So i'm not quite sure what this dyno is doing but i think it would be safe to assume you would tax another 25-30% off to get Australian rear wheel power. So the 284rwkw that came on lighting fast would only be 215rwkw or so that comes on lighting fast :)

Please correct me if i'm wrong in my observations :)

Paint Codes for BNR34

TV2 : Bayside Blue

QM1 : White

KR4 : Sonic Silver

KV2 : Athlete Silver

GV1 : Black Pearl

AR2 : Active Red

EV1 : Lightning Yellow

LV4 : Midnight Purple II

LX0 : Midnight Purple III

WV2 : Sparkling Silver

QX1 : White Pearl

EY0 : Sillica Breath

JW0 : Millennium Jade

I'm pretty sure it's Midnight Purple III that you want, but check to make sure :(

I was looking at GT3071R turbo and thought wow this looks good. I had a look at the website with the dyno info but found something a little strange:

"The dyno data:

I then had a look at the stock specs for this car on dodge.com and it was 230 horsepower. I have never seen a car loose only 5HP through the drivetrain. So i'm not quite sure what this dyno is doing but i think it would be safe to assume you would tax another 25-30% off to get Australian rear wheel power. So the 284rwkw that came on lighting fast would only be 215rwkw or so that comes on lighting fast :(

Please correct me if i'm wrong in my observations :(

I will contact ATP and clarify if the power figure is at the wheels...

Paint Codes for BNR34

TV2 : Bayside Blue

QM1 : White

KR4 : Sonic Silver

KV2 : Athlete Silver

GV1 : Black Pearl

AR2 : Active Red

EV1 : Lightning Yellow

LV4 : Midnight Purple II

LX0 : Midnight Purple III

WV2 : Sparkling Silver

QX1 : White Pearl

EY0 : Sillica Breath

JW0 : Millennium Jade

I'm pretty sure it's Midnight Purple III that you want, but check to make sure :(

Ur and absolute champion =)

BTW it`s boostd, ova a mates atm...

"The dyno data:

I then had a look at the stock specs for this car on dodge.com and it was 230 horsepower. I have never seen a car loose only 5HP through the drivetrain. So i'm not quite sure what this dyno is doing but i think it would be safe to assume you would tax another 25-30% off to get Australian rear wheel power. So the 284rwkw that came on lighting fast would only be 215rwkw or so that comes on lighting fast :)

Please correct me if i'm wrong in my observations :)

Some more info I found....All very strange. Comparing the GT2835Pros S to the GT3071 The 3071 has a larger turbine. The HKS makes about 270rwkw and The Garrett 3071 makes 280rwkw... makes sense to me. Not sure how it makes more boost earlier tho with a bigger turbine wheel.

Acceleration figures (bone stock): 2003 modelsCar and Driver: 0-60 in 5.6 seconds, top speed 153 mph

Sport Compact Car: 5.8 seconds, quarter mile 14.2 seconds

Brooke McClelland wrote: According to their chassis dyno, this Neon puts out 223 HP and 250 lb-ft of torque at the wheels! ... In comparison, their test of a 2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R, which is rated at 175 HP, put out just 141 HP at the wheels.

Apex Technology has dynoed the SRT-4 and found 248 hp - at the wheels!

And the spec from the Dodge site: The car's 2.4-liter, turbocharged in-line four-cylinder engine produces 215 horsepower and 245 lb.-ft. of torque.

GT2835Pro 420 56 53.1 71.1 100 50 0.50 84 56.5 51.8 T3 A/R 0.68

GT3037Pro 470 56 57.0 76.2 70 50 0.60 84 60.0 55.0 A/R 0.87

The GT3071R uses the same compressor wheel and A/R as the GT2835 with the HKSGT3037

turbine. It is rated by ATP for 400-450hp which fits perfectly between the HKS turbos. ATP got back to me and assurred me the dyno figures were correct and measured at the wheels. The also said the turbo was available without the turbine housing as many customers have bought a HKS housing, bolted it on and got even better response and power. The wouldn't provide details on how much improvement as it was a breach of copyright since apparenty HKS are soon to release the exact setup at an inflated price.

I'm sold. will be purchasing a GT3071R minus Exhaust housing $TBA~$1100US. Greenline will be suppling a HKS T3 .87A/R exhaust housing $TBA. I have a HKS Stainless manifold and am now chasing a S/H Greddy external gate.

I will keep my prices and results coming.

from Honda-tech

just did a car with a built b16 and a gt3071r

355hp at 19psi with the boost falling off from 21 at 4500-5000 to 19 at 8500, and it only made 255hp on 11psi.

and

the responce of the 3071r with the 86 ar was awesome, no complaints there. the boost guage reacted instantly to any throttle inputs, its a very responcive turbo.

and

just like to voice mine when i feel that the other side of the argument needs to be heard. This is the compressor map for the 71mm, 56Trim Gt35 Compressor. You will have to copy and paste the link into a new browser window b/c my Internet Host does nto allow remote linking of images.

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/enthalpy/180sx/...mm-56T-GT35.jpg

as you can see it is pretty efficeint wheel but not much mroe so than a good 50 trim T04E and it is not as efficeint as the 76mm 48 trim T04S wheel. but... the 71mm exduce makes itt a better match to the smaller turbine wheels of the new generation GT series from garrett. Garrett sort of casued them selves a big predicament. they designed these really efficeint turbine wheels. but they made them smaller in diameter. even though they are able to generate the shaft power necessary to drive bigger compressors they wind up being a mismatch to the compressor when you look at the turbine power generated vs. shaft speed adn then compare that with required compressor power adn it's related shft speed. The engineers over there think "OEM" turbos alot. they arent into the big compressors on small engines liek the rest of us are. they see things a bit differntly...not bad...but differntly. My biggest example of this is the disco potato (GT28RS) this is not the great turbo they claim it is....when you look at it form a performance stanpoint. a turbo that can make 330whp is no technical marvel these days. and when you couple it to the .86 housing that they reccomend the thing wont make full boost until 4000 rpm on a 2.0L engien. but look at garretts sizing chart...that turbo is siszed for 1.8-2.8L applicaitons! OEM thinking indeed. from a performance applicaiton a 2.0L is the BIGGEST applicaiton i would ever run that thing on.

and

1) you know my thoughts on the GT28RS already booo

2) the HKS GT-RS is the same ceter section as the GT2871R so save the money and get with ATPTurbo.com they should have the GT2871R back in stock now.

3)ATPturbo.com also makes a .63 GT30 turbine housing that has a very nice flared transition from the wheel outlet to a 3" ID discharge. that would work VERY nice on the GT3071R. I like the GT3071R...it's just not a big power turbo as you can see from the compressor map.

the GT2871 and GT3071 share the same compressor. so it all comes down to turbine sizing.

Until recently the GT3037 52 trim was the hot

favourite in the 400whp stakes but now the GT3071 can do it better , less heat ,

less lag and greater turbine efficiency .

and more from the net

T3071R - A brand new ball bearing turbocharger recently created by Garrett engineers to help fill the gap between smaller 300 HP turbos and the laggy GT3037S. The GT3071R is also one of the Garrett engineers' favorites because of its superior wheel match (between the compressor and the turbine wheel). A better wheel match means higher levels of efficiency. Higher levels of efficiency mean the turbo works less and achieves more and is happier and makes more power reliably. This is quickly becoming one of OUR favorites as well.

The GT3071R - A brand new "450 HP" ball bearing turbo introduced by the Garrett engineers partly to solve our EVO8 dilemna. Wham! It was right at home! The unit complimented the EVO8 engine well and performed to expectations. Boost was seen 700 - 1000 rpm earlier than the GT3037S and only 200-300 later than stock. With some tuning and larger injectors, we managed 375 WHP on modest boost: achieving our goal of a setup that makes 450 crank HP, spools close to stock and does not require swapping out everything under the sun, ie. FMIC, cams, headwork, etc. To get the power, all you you need is a nice free-flowing 3" exhaust as we have installed on our test car.