SAU Community

Brake Pads For R33 Gtr.

I need a new set of pads for my car. Got the standard brembo callipers with dba 5000 front discs n 4000 rears. Had bendix ultimates thought they worked alrite but were dusty, also seemed to wear out quickly only did appox. 10,000km on the road n one half hour happy laps session at qld raceway. Appeared to hold up fine little fade towards the end, and a little smoke coming off the rears when I pulled into the pits. Car does a lot of street driving an hopefully will get some more track time in the future. Car is running around 350kwatw. Read thru most of the brake pad reviews. Didn't seem to be any pads that someone didn't hate. Also most of the posts are fairly old now. Which pads are people running now? Resma sounded ok but I rang up the agent an he didn't recommend them for track work, he said they're a high end street pad but won't hold up on the track he recommended Qfma1rm's but from reading on the forums they're ok but squeal very badly. Both are very cheap pads, do u get better pads for more dollars? What do people recommend? Help will be appreciated thanks

I'm using A1RMs with no squeal. Some pads have more tendency to squeal than others, but in many cases its due to poor installation. I use them for track and they're fine for my setup, which has some cooling at the front. My guess is that A1RMs will be better on the track, but worse on the street, than Ultimates. Give them a go. If you don't like them for street, get some full street pads and swap as required.

EBC yellow or Blue stuff, still streetable and trackable, yellows are rated to 900 degrees, im currently running them in my ute but they are dusty, the GTR with the new engine is getting EBC Blue stuff, rated even higher again.

I think Bendix Ultimates were rated to around 500 from memory or there abouts.

Project mu HC appear good, tho some say not so good. Probably more track orientated then what I need an are $618 for a set. QFMA1rm's have lovers an haters. But can get a set for $270. So is tempting to just get a set of them. Tho some say they're a little hungry on discs, an the HC seem easy on discs so not sure how much I'll save. As I'm not sure how expensive the two piece front rotors are to replace...Think I need to steal a set of carbon ceramics of a new maclaren, no one seem to bitch bout them too much lol

Ok pad options seem to be endless, have also had Winmax W3 pads recommended, as an option instead of project mu HC's, about 110 cheaper for a set of 4 then the HC's an apparently as good, if not a little better. Tho never heard of them an project Mu's HC seem to be fairly common with few complaints, so maybe they're a safer bet..

Thanks for the input, went with the project mu HC's because not many ppl disliked them. The Qfma 1 rm's probably would have done the job nearly as good or as good same with the intima sr's, n Winmax w3's. An didn't have time to research the ebc range, other then the greens which people all seemed to agree they aren't much good.

Project mu HC appear good, tho some say not so good. Probably more track orientated then what I need an are $618 for a set. QFMA1rm's have lovers an haters. But can get a set for $270. So is tempting to just get a set of them. Tho some say they're a little hungry on discs, an the HC seem easy on discs so not sure how much I'll save. As I'm not sure how expensive the two piece front rotors are to replace...Think I need to steal a set of carbon ceramics of a new maclaren, no one seem to bitch bout them too much lol

Pads work in two modes: abrasive at low temperature, and adhesive at high temperature. Generally you expect track pads be be tough on rotors when used on the street because they may not get hot enough to move out of abrasive mode. So, crossover pads like A1RMs will be somewhat tough on rotors for street use. You'd expect full track pads to be worse. A mate of mine had DS3000s on his street car and it smashed the rotors. That doesnt mean its a bad pad tho. You'll also notice that A1RMs have a lot less bite than most street pads when cold. There's no right or wrong, you just need to find a compromise between all the different properties that suits you.