SAU Community

Question about compliance

Arsn

Hey all.

I'm looking to pick up my skyline tonight through a private sale. My basic question is how do i know if the car has been complianced? He says that he has had it done, but when i got the car checked out, they said that the plates were not on.

I have no idea what to look for to make sure that it is complianced. I called the guy selling it and he says that he has the engineers report, but what else does he need to give me? :)

Thanks

the car should have two plates at least...

one blue which is from Jap factory if you looking at the engine they are located TOP LEFT hand side...

one Green plate australian complience plate... It can be any where... but they are usually near the blue plate...

or

could have SILVER metal plate with numbers on it... I think they are australia complience number or some thing...

I hope this helps... but reading your post it sounds bit fish about the guy trying to sell you the car with out plate... ask him for the paper work and make sure you match up the all the numbers...

dotn take any dodge shit! cuz if the car is stolen you can not take refund!

cheers

Joe

Thanks for that.

He says that he has everything, but he is not giving me definate answers. But if he doesn't have these plates, then I'm going to just walk away. There is not a chance that I'm going to buy the car without compliance.

Ok, the car should have:

a) green compliance plate

B) silver vin plate

c) complaince certificate

d) import approval

If it has been registered before, I don't think you need the compliance and import approval, but I wouldnt buy a car without one. It would suck if customs / police came and seized your car and you had no proof of the import etc..

Dave

Does the car have to have a new vin number, or does it just keep the orignial number?

Can you tell that I'm very new to all this? But if all goes well, i might be driving my new car tonight :)

But i will take all this information with me tonight when i go and pick up the car, and if i don't get all that i should, i will give him the chance to get it all up to scratch, or I'm taking my money and looking else where.

Thanks again for all the help.

The other thing to check is that the guy OWNS the car. It may actually belong to a finance company. They can then legaly reposess it, even if you have paid for it in full. Best bet is to go around to the local cop shop, and ask a few questions. They will be glad to help especially if they are not real busy.

Well that is a nice way to make me worry about even more stuff.

The story that i have been told is that the car has been complianced, but is not registered. I've got no problem with registering it, i just want to make sure that the car is complianced.

That is the only thing that i have no idea about.

Ok, the car is given a new 17 digit VIN which should be listed on the compliance cert.

Also, I have attached a photo of the 2 plates it should have. If it doesnt have these, dont waste your time. He is probably trying to flog it before they even arrive.

If it is first registration you will 100% need the compliance certificates.

Anyother q's just ask (as im going through this myself at the moment with my new cars)

Dave.

Thanks for the photo dAVE. It makes it so much esier now actually knowing what the new plate should look like. I'm starting to feel a lot better.

I also did the search on the REVs thing and that was all clear.

Does it matter if the plate is not attached to the car, but he just gives it to me? As long as the numbers match with the engineers report nd cert, it should be ok right? Just means either he, or the shop was too slack to put it on.

yep thats fine.. but make sure you get the compliance papers, and also check the plates match the vin that is stamped into the firewall.

Otherwise you should be right. I took my car home from compliancers without the plates etc as they were still waiting on them in the mail.. so I guess the same could have happened to this guy.

Dave

Ok.

Thanks again. Time for me to head down to Melbourne and pick up the car. I'm working in Benalla, so it is a 2.5 hour drive.

If all goes well, then i will try and post some pics of it for all to see.

You've all helped me heaps :)

Sorry i have taken so long to reply. No internet at home at the moment. Only have it at work.

It is a black R33 Gtst 95. Pretty much stock with a sunroof. The only real mod would be the front strut brace. Ended up costing me $17,700, plus tyres as the ones on it are pretty crap.

I picked it up on Friday and it all worked out good. He handed me the plates and all the numbers matched, so i was worrying about nothing really, but the photo that you posted helped me know what i needed to look for.

Just have to wait to get a hold of a digital camera so i can take some photos.