SAU Community

Max boost with stock cooler

hi ive got a r33 and was just wondering what is the max boost i can run. i have a high flowed turbo with a stainless turbine and i wanted to run 1 bar of boost and dont have the cash for a fmic is that possible and safe to run a bar with stock cooler.

thanks phil

Guest INASNT

i just got my s-afc tuned on the weekend and with my stock cooler with 2 stage bleed set at 12psi it would drop to 10psi at about 5500rpm cause the cooler was shitting itself!

how much was it to put a s/s impeller in the stock turbo?

high flowed with bearings and seals 1200 the only reason i did it was coz my oil seals in my turbo went but yea i got a dual stage boost controller aswell r u sure its the cooler not the fuel pump thats not letteing ur boost go up coz its happened to a few friends of mine the pump goes.

Guest INASNT
Originally posted by driftr33

high flowed with bearings and seals 1200 the only reason i did it was coz my oil seals in my turbo went but yea i got a dual stage boost controller aswell r u sure its the cooler not the fuel pump thats not letteing ur boost go up coz its happened to a few friends of mine the pump goes.

nope fuel pump and injectors r running well! fuel pump cant effect how much boost u run, if the fuel pumps not running well then it will just run the engine lean!

its the cooler cause guy who got same power as me with same mods got a new FMIC put on and got his car dynoed right after me and he got 169kw@wheels at 9psi!!

in reality when u r running 12psi at intake the turbo will be running about 14psi atleast with the pressure drop being through the pissy small stock IC!

INASNT, where did you get your S-AFC tuned and how much? Have you thought about Water/methanol injection? Its half the cost of a FMIC, legal and unless you race around a track to get enough air flow through a big FMIC , works more efficiently on the street. Although a big FMIC does look cool!

Guest INASNT
Originally posted by the_tonkau

INASNT, where did you get your S-AFC tuned and how much? Have you thought about Water/methanol injection? Its half the cost of a FMIC, legal and unless you race around a track to get enough air flow through a big FMIC , works more efficiently on the street. Although a big FMIC does look cool!

Me and Grim were gonna put a water spray kit on the intercooler but in the end its not worth the stuffing around as the stock IC has such a small surface area where the air is cooled its pointless!

I got my s-afc tuned by the guys at ICE PERFORMANCE and it cost round $100.

I didn't mean a IC spray kit, but a true injection system via the intake plenum. No pinging, lower intake temp and more power at lower boost. For eg, A swisho system that Group A rally cars use only costs about $900 fitted against about $1600 for a DECENT fmic!. Less lag too over! as you don't have the big pressure drop of a huge cooler.

$100 sound good for a AFC tweak, will have to get down there!

Guest INASNT

I didn't mean a IC spray kit, but a true injection system via the intake plenum. No pinging, lower intake temp and more power at lower boost. For eg, A swisho system that Group A rally cars use only costs about $900 fitted against about $1600 for a DECENT fmic!. Less lag too over! as you don't have the big pressure drop of a huge cooler.

oh ok, water spray for intake is a very good idea, and seem it work on cars running lots of boost, but no intercooler!

But u need sum sort of controller to control the system properly!

The 1'c i have seen incorporated it with an Autronic SMC ecu system.

Alcohol (isopropyl) injection is better than water(water is good though). The stock ic has plenty of pressure drop BTW, it has fairly poor flow. A modest sized front mount like the trust will increase air flow speed over the stock one (ie: less lag).

Guest INASNT
Originally posted by b2barker

MRT sell the Aquamist unit, although I don't know how much. Good info in Aquamist's FAQ and also  

here

thanks for the info.

which cars have u seen with this system installed on em?

Look at it this way..

Summer is on the way.

AUS temps go pretty high in summer.

Just yesterday it was like 30 degrees and it's only going to get higher.

The standard cooler in winter is probably good to work efficiently at 12psi or less.

in summer, that standard cooler isn't going to do shit.

Get a good front mount and you will see an immediate improvement over the stock item.

If you have spent the money on getting a steel wheel on your turbo, then at the moment you won't be able to use that power until you change your standard pissy cooler.

You know the drill...

exhaust, filter, cooler, boost.

don't worry about water/metho injection or whatever...

do the basics first.

Keep an eye out on the forums for intercoolers that come up for sale.