SAU Community

R33 Boot Leak

I have a boot leak down the sides of the boot from the edge of the rear window down to the tail lights. along that seem on both sides there are multiple leaks. I've reduced it with silicone to seal the gaps but still get through a little bit. I've stopped about 95% of the water.

Just wondering who i can go to for a permanent fix instead of a temporary fix. I think i have diagnosed the problem. Should i go to a panel beater or smash repair? or do i get someone to weld it?

It's not a huge problem but i can't put the interior in my boot because it gets nasty and wet.

My problem is similar to this guys video. i did the same thing as him but with a different product

Any help will be appreciated, cheers.

Edited by SkylineR33RB25

Pull the boot rubber off the boot opening, silicon the channel and then push it back on securely

Pull the tail lights out, silicon and put back in firmly

next day hop in the boot with a torch and get some one to spray water all over the back and check for leaks

Edit: Oh and seal all rust off from the oxygen if you have any

Edited by Sinista32
  • Like 1

It's not coming from the rubber seal around the boot it's coming from where the metal over lays
watch the video and look at where he is putting his sealant. and it's leaking from the top. up near the windscreen down to about half way . it's def not coming from the tail lights. it's drain perfect from there.

I highlighted in red where it's leak from in paint http://postimg.org/image/ylf6uk5az/

My question is who do i go to, to get it permanently fixed?

Edited by SkylineR33RB25

There is a great thread about this and has helped me and multiple other people.

The seal at the base of the window. The one with screws is a culprit. Pull it off and silicone.

The tail lights leak. Pull them out and reveal.

The bolt holes for the boot. There where it mounts to the guards leak as well. Silicone all those areas and You should have solved it.

http://postimg.org/image/ylf6uk5az

That's where it's coming from highlighted in red ^^^^ click that link
It's coming from where the metal overlays. very small gaps in there. I can see it dripping from about half way so i don't think it's as high up as the base of the window
I can see it dripping into my boot when i fill the gutters up (the side of the boot) with water. and when i soak up the water from where i highlighted in the gutters it magically stops so it has to be coming from there.

Edited by PranK
Fixed underlined text.

My goodness. The seems will be deceiving. It will find one point of entry and then find the path of least resistance to the exit.

Oh btw I got quoted over 1 k to get the boot welded and painted.

I guarantee that if you chisel out the old filler you will find where it enters because there will be a rust spot.

The seems are not welded. They have this type of putty filler that ages and cracks

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone recommend a sealant.

I currently use Silastic. silicone rubber from autobarn in a 75g tube. I need something bigger like selleys. I'm going to disconnect my boot and do it properly.

Should i use selleys silicone? Would that be the best thing for the job?

The product that I have used a million times in boats of both aluminium and fibreglass is Sikaflex. Its nutso once it sets.

Note, to get it to bond well, you'll need to really scuff the paintwork, or it just wont bond properly. Hit it with a wire brush on a drill or a dremel and then apply it.

Also, Keep it dry for a few days. Rain and storms this week, it you dont have a garage then just wait.

• Like 1