SAU Community

CV Axle boot torn, what are my options?

I have a 1996 Stagea RS Four-V that I bought recently. I have started to notice a shuddering when accelerating from the front right. Upon closer inspection, I found the CV axle boot is torn and looks like it has been for a while. I have heard people say not to buy aftermarket CV axles because they are weaker than OEM but I am having trouble finding an OEM axle. Since it is already shuddering upon acceleration, is it too late to get it rebuilt? If I end up finding a replacement, would I have to also get the front left replaced (I have heard they need to be replaced in pairs)? Any information is appreciated. 

FWIW I had the one on my Stagea replaced some time ago. Didn't have any shuddering. Just lots of grease going everywhere.

IMG_20220813_121717.thumb.jpg.b5115da1783e15695b1f9f8f0e1a6fbe.jpg

My mechanic was saying it is easier and cheaper to just get a new one and replace it. No reason to spend hours on the labour for them to dick around fixing the old one.

We ended up getting a replacement from JustJap. Reasonably confident it would have been one of these:

https://justjap.com/products/gsp-premium-front-driveshaft-r-h-nissan-r32-r33-r34-skyline-gtr-stagea-4wd

It was $190 ordered through the mechanic.

We only replaced the side that was torn and left the other alone.

• Like 2

rebuilding is a straightforward option too, the only thing to keep in mind is non-genuine boots are likely to be much worse quality rubber and need replacing about 10x as often.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Duncan said:

rebuilding is a straightforward option too, the only thing to keep in mind is non-genuine boots are likely to be much worse quality rubber and need replacing about 10x as often.

So just get it rebuilt and replace it with a genuine boot? Is it possible that I would have to replace the CV joint as well?

Yes, the CV shop will confirm if the joint is reusable, it almost always just needs a new boot and grease.

I'm not sure on current pricing, I last had a set done ages ago, but the $190 for new/aftermarket might be very competitive.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Duncan said:

Hmmm, good to know, thanks! I have to admit it was a spur of the moment decision to go with the aftermarket driveshaft and did no research. It's a bit disheartening reading comments about those on the internet. Will see how it holds up. It has been 15,000km and so far so good.

24 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

It's the front axle on a Stagea. How hard can it be worked?

Excuse me! It is seeing some serious load when I'm doing sick 1000kw 40psi four wheel skids racing Camrys at the traffic lights coming home with the weekly groceries :D 

3 minutes ago, soviet_merlin said:

Excuse me! It is seeing some serious load when I'm doing sick 1000kw 40psi four wheel skids racing Camrys at the traffic lights coming home with the weekly groceries :D 

Surely you can't race your brother from another mother....

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Duncan said:

Surely you can't race your brother from another mother....

Brother, sister, father, mother... if someone stops at the lights it's a race. Leaving clouds of tyre smoke behind with a slight mango smell to them. One hand on the steering wheel, one hand on the automatic gear shift and one hand on the vape :D

/s