SAU Community

Buying Second Hand Coilovers

Hey all! I have been thinking of upgrading the suspension in my R33 for a while now and I think the time has come.

A good deal has come up on a used set of BC BR coilovers for $800 the owner said they would probably have about 10,000k's on them and they have been used in his street car..

I was just wondering if I could get some opinions on buying second hand before I think about dropping the cash on them or if I should just buy brand new.

Cheers

I'd want to remove/inspect the upper spring retainer/top hat. Check for play in pillow ball.

Next remove springs and check damper for scoring or pitting on damper rod. Also check dust seals (you won't be able to see oil control seals). Any dampness = bad.

Compress the damper and check for squelching or bubbling sounds. Also check lateral free-play of damper rod. Ensure damper rebounds to full length without assistance.

Check all adjusters through their range of motion.

For $800 I'd be so much more inclined to shell out an extraa $400 and get new ones.

I simply said that for 800 bucks I wouldn't be buying second band BC.

When I bought mine I went through Aaron at import monster and he imported a great set of RA teins for me

I got these for 600 delivered from Japan. Like new

post-47556-0-26727600-1426558151_thumb.jpg

I just sold a set of used Cusco coilovers for $200. One was known to be leaking, rest felt ok on the car (note my ad clearly stated that they needed a rebuild). That's realistically all second hand coilovers are worth unless you know the history of them.

I might pay $800 for a set of MCA gold second hand (even though they'd be thrashed to death on a rally car) because they can be completely rebuilt, and they are top notch gear to start with.

If you can get coilovers new for $1100, then second hand ones are not worth anywhere near 50% of that price, unless as I stated you can prove their history and condition.

A few years ago I bought some second have JDM spec "Ohlins" PCV coilovers for a little over $1000 shipped from Malaysia. Worked great for a while, until the pillow balls started knocking. I would have had them rebuilt but my Skyline (un)fortunately was written off by a flood before I had the chance

If I had to do it again, I'd spend the money on brand new MCAs or a just a Eibach/Bilstien combo... Something that I know for sure can be rebuilt. Heasmans told me that some JDM Ohlins can't be rebuilt, which is a shame for a set of coilovers that go for around $3000 plus shipping brand new!

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I will wait a bit longer, save some more coin and buy them brand new which will give me piece of mind knowing that I might not be buying someone else's problem and that they will have warranty :yes:

• Like 2