SAU Community

Tomei Oil Pump + 1.5mm Restrictor Combo?

mr skidz

What are peoples experiences with the 1.5mm head restrictor with a tomei oil pump?

I'll be using it on my RB28 and I'd just like some feedback from those that have used it as some say 1.5mm is still too large and 1.1 should be used and even less sometimes, this car is 99 percent streetcar it and may see an occasional track day.

1.1mm is what im using on my 26/30 with Tomei pump.

Most 28's that a well known Melbourne workshop builds also uses 1.1mm restrictors with Nitto and Tomei pumps.

All were street builds with track/strip duties.

So it's got me thinking why Tomei would recommend 1.5 in the first place,

They don't even have an option for a different size.

So what's the reason for 1.1 does the pump empty the sump too quickly?

Edited by mr skidz

Apparently the tomei oil pump needs a 1.1mm as it pumps way too much?

That is the idea.

1.5mm is fine for normal driving and short bursts of RPM, as you know RB28's like to rev, revs=more oil going up=empty the sump faster which you dont want while holding it there in the upper RPM bracket.

That is the idea.

1.5mm is fine for normal driving and short bursts of RPM, as you know RB28's like to rev, revs=more oil going up=empty the sump faster which you dont want while holding it there in the upper RPM bracket.

did you retain your factory oil squirters or remove them?

I'm thinking the same would apply to the oil squirters orifice, would it need to be smaller also so not removing any oil pressure or volume from the mains?

Edited by mr skidz

The 28's have all retained the factory squirters, my 26/30 gets piston oiling Via holes in the Nitto con rods.

The method of piston oiling makes no difference to the final outcome.

Bearing clearances and oil weight would be more of a issue.....however the 28's and my 30 run the same bearing clearances and similar weight of oil, most of the 28's ran a multi grade 50 weight oil as they are regularly driven on the street, my 26/30 is setup to run a straight 50 weight oil (not multi grade) as its setup a little more strip than street.