SAU Community

Semi Slicks.. What Would You Do?

DJBarnstar

Hey Team,

I'm trying to eek out the most from my set of Hankook soft 221's. I'm hoping to get one more trackday out of them....

They have done 3 track days... 2 of them wet. (in the last 9 months or so)

I have another coming up on the 17th Dec at the my usual track, Wakefield.

Now the question is what would you run on the front and back? As you can see they are marked for RF LF RR LR.

The Rears are very low and the fronts have started to melt.

Should I keep running the fronts where is, to make the most of the grip for turning or put them on the back and get drive?

Seems obvious that I put the ones with the most tread on the back, but Wakefield is such a tight turning track.

They are on an R33 GTR.

Thoughts?

20151119_150342_zpsgp8aeq27.jpg

20151119_150348_zpshaggayrs.jpg

20151119_150352_zpsrlbzckdo.jpg

20151119_150404_zpsdqq0zwr1.jpg

haha I think the opposite....if you take softs to a track day at wakefield in December you will destroy them. probably in the first session. so it doesn't matter which one goes on which corner :P

keep those for hillclimbs or super sprints, and go and buy a set of medium or hard tyres instead.

• Like 1

Hankook Z221 softs (C70) are like Yokohama A050 Mediums. Maybe a fraction softer, but not alot.

I've done a hillclimb, 2 Lakeside days (1 over 30 degrees ambient), 2 days at Morgan Park in 33 degree heat and 1 day at Phillip Island on a 1530kg Soarer. Tyres are about half worn except for the outer edges. I was planning on flipping them on the wheels to maximise their life, but I think the rear tyres may have gone off now - I had no rear grip at the last track day and it got worse with each lap... I should have changed them front to back to see if the problem moved with the tyres, but CBF. It was too hot

A couple of mates who run Hankooks have had the same thing happen - they go off before they wear out.

Edited by hrd-hr30

Good to hear, I haven't used them myself, I was just going off my experience with other soft tyres

In that case, bang them on any corner, have fun until lunch, then check them for rotation for the afternoon. I'd always put the best tyres on the most loaded point which is front left at wakie....you can always control the amount of rear wheel work with your foot....

• Like 1

Dude thy have heaps of tread

I did another two full track days in my gtr when they looked like that

The hand cock keeps delivering solid grip to the belts

The sifts will lu give you 3 good laps in the heat the they drop off

• Like 1

yeah, but if you don't know what they're like brand new, you can't really say they're consistent down to the belts. Mine ran effortless 59s brand new. Now at about 50%, 1:01.2 was all I could do. Might be why that bloke was selling his... They're still faster than Nittos, but nothing like what they were new.