SAU Community

R33 Rb20det Gearbox To Rb25det Gearbox

Hey guys first post here, recently the gearbox in my skyline started to whine and not sound extremely happy drained the oil and there were silver/gold flecks in the oil. Now this is where I'm having problems are N/A R33s equipped with a rb20det gearbox? I already have a parts list: 25det gearbox/front half of tailshaft/gearbox crossmember. Is there anything else I need to do? like the speedo sensor? Thanks for helping a newbie

post-142975-0-46051900-1459914852_thumb.jpg

First major thing to break to since ownership and just trying to make it a little bit more bulletproof, the only thing bugging me doing this is the speedo sender part I would assume I don't need to change it since it should already electric correct?

RB20DET (NA R33) to RB25DET (Turbo R33) manual gearbox swap.

Required Parts:

- RB25DET Gearbox inc. crossmember, shifter

- RB25DET Tailshaft

- RB25DET Gearbox loom (for all the sensors) also known as an alternator loom.

- RB25DET Clutch slave

Your speedo will likely be off by almost half if you have a factory 4.36 LSD, some NA's had them some didn't. You'll need to swap over to a 4.11 LSD or install a speedometer calibrator.

If your car is still NA you may be best to just put another RB20 box back in... They're around 20kg lighter, much cheaper and you usually don't have a problem with them until you are putting out over 250 rwkw.