SAU Community

Only one bite at the compliance cherry?

krawler

Is it true you can only apply for compliance once, and if it fails it cannot be recomplied?

So if you import a car yourself, forget to add something which causes it to fail its compliance inspection then you are stuck with a useless car?

If a car fails compliance under the new scheme, it has to be re-exported back to japan (at your cost) or destroyed. When destroyed I think evidence of this has to be provided (e.g. a photo of a nice cube of metal or something)

The couple of compliance shops and importers I have spoken to have said this has happened a few times already. One place i was there and he has an R33 up on the hoist - and basically was telling me "that one is going to be a squashed bit of metal soon due to it having previous major accident damage". Looked ok to me.. was so sad.. the poor GTS-T going to be put down :D

Apparently, one bloke had an R34 GTR ($60 or 70k worth) shipped over that was actually a cut and shut (of course he didn't know that). Very professional job, and the car would probably be ok to drive .. but basically was saying it had to be shipped back to Japan. Guy ended up $30k out of pocket - wouldn't be happy !

Is it true you can only apply for compliance once, and if it fails it cannot be recomplied?

So if you import a car yourself, forget to add something which causes it to fail its compliance inspection then you are stuck with a useless car?

the only way it would get rejected is if it had been in a major accident, if u just forgot to put something on it, eg. child restraint etc. then they would just tell u to put it on.

Apparently, one bloke had an R34 GTR ($60 or 70k worth) shipped over that was actually a cut and shut (of course he didn't know that). Very professional job, and the car would probably be ok to drive .. but basically was saying it had to be shipped back to Japan. Guy ended up $30k out of pocket - wouldn't be happy !

i know a dude that,that happened to, an r34 gtr cut and shut, might be the same guy dunno, he said he got an offer for 110k as long as he got it complied, and as u can't register badly damaged cars he lost plenty of money

The reason I ask is that there is a very tidy R33 for sale near here for 9k, but has failed complience.

I was wondering if 9k + recompliance (if possible) was gonna be less than the cost of a pre-complied(err?) R33..

It failed due to missing seatbelt restraint or something?

well i think the point is that one can't ever be registered or complied.. as the VIN, etc will be on file somewhere. If somebody tries, it will just get knocked back.

Not sure why it isn't destroyed actually? as I thought they had to be. Maybe a shifty is going on..

haha

same car I'm looking at Krawler. Ring the guy, it's not just the seatbelt mounting points that are missing... it was in an accident where the rear quarter panel was damaged (in Japan) and they had to cut away a section of the chassis about 10" in length. I'm thinking about getting an RACQ check done and an engineer's report. But, so far, everyone is telling me to steer clear of it.

It can be used for track or as parts, but yeah, apparently never registered again.

You cant even get it complied as a custom or anything?

i'm pretty sure u can register it if u make it a 2 seater, but not if its damaged like seqo says, is it a spec1 or 2?

they had to cut away a section of the chassis about 10" in length

i'm pretty sure u can register it if u make it a 2 seater, but not if its damaged like seqo says, is it a spec1 or 2?

how can you register it if it can`t be complied.....

it has had chassis damage therfore it cannot be complied BY ANYONE..its a dead car mate ..work it out..just shoot it its a DOG

just remember when any one imports themselves..do it with someone reputable....the guys who bought that 34 gtr in.. (talked about in this thread) for instance should be held accountable ...if your importer/buyer won`t GUARANTEE..in writing that the car they buy you will be complied ...

.find one that does

Failed compliance first time - never can be complied. The vin will have a black mark against it in Canberra's books. Depending on damage, Canberra may also request the car be crushed/buried with evidence. This means no race or rally fun either.

Jake is spot on - be very careful. If you are importing yourself you MUST either fly to Japan and check the car over yourself or try arrange to have an INDEPENDANT mechanical workshop inspection (still can be some problems). The easy way to go is to use a broker. Just make sure you get a good one.

Cheers,

Ken

The way any importer worth dealing with works is that they do all the accident-history inspections in Japan before the car leaves.

Like mentioned above, the RAWs should be able to gaurantee compliance before the car is shipped from Japan or you are wasting everyone's time and money.

how can you register it if it can`t be complied.....

u obviously misunderstood what i said, i said u could register it as a 2 seater if it didn't have chassis damage

krawler u should offer him like 2 grand for it, so u can have a parts car, although he will proly end up selling it to some numbskull that doesn't look into why he didn't get compliance.