SAU Community

Stagea Stereo Removal ??

Jay95R33

G'day Guys,

Yepp, I've now got a RS Four-V :P

It's got the factory option of sat nav/tv and stereo, I tried getting the console/stereo out yesterday to install an FM converter so I can listen to local FM stations, but I couldn't get the stereo out :)

Anyone done it before ?

I removed the whole centre console (between the two front seats) and the part that goes around the shifter. Undone the two screws down the bottom of the stereo facial bit, but I couldn't get it to come out.

It looks like it sits under the facial for the two centre vents. I didn't want to grab and yank cause the dash is pretty much perfect...

Any help would be great.

J

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the exclusive club of Stagea owners, J. I will be interested in the replies as I need to do the same to our radio. Also I might hold off and see how well it works for you. I have heard conflicting reports about FM onverters, from "works great" to "waste of time". You can be the guinea pig for this one......

Yepp, no prob's SK.

I've bitten the bullet and bought a FM converter (massive $40 :D ), so once I get time (and figure out how) I'll get it put in... I'll take some pics of how to get the dash off too.

Then I'll decide if I'm going to use the TV in it or not. It has AUX inputs, so I might just use it as a monitor. I can get a nifty little box that will play Divx/avi/mpg movies as well as play MP3's. Also has USB and a card CF reader in it so you can dump anything into it :(

J

OK, I got the place that just installed my alarm to install the fm convert cause I was paranoid of breaking the dash !! And this way I though if they bust it they'll pay for a new one :(

Everything went fine - nothing broken.

Just as I thought, the top two centre vents are held in with clips, you need to remove these to get to the two screws behind it to get the stereo out !!

I'll take a pic on the weekend and point out where the clips are so you know where to lever from with the screw driver !

The FM converter seems to be working fine. Maybe a bit low on reception, but that also may have something to do with the TV areials I have instead of FM ones :)

One thing I did notice is that it's picking up HEAPS of stations that I've never heard before, maybe the 10/20 converter is picking stations up outside the normal australia FM band as well as the normal FM band ?

The converter I bought was a 10/20 Mhz one from Jaycar for $44.95.

Cheers

J

Got some pics :)

I thought it'd be easier to see where the clips are rather than try and explain.

Use a large flat screw driver to pry the vents out. If they've never been taken out before it's gunna take a fair bit of prying... For the centre bit (that goes around the shifter) if you don't want to try and pry it up from around the edges, take the centre console pocket out (the big one with the flip lid) out and then get your hand in there and push the plastic surround up from under it.

I discovered that when they put the FM converter in they forgot to plug a plug back into the TV :( So it wasn't turning on.... I found out why when I got the stereo out, to get the plug back in you need little Japanesse hands !! Took me 30 mins just to get the plug in :(

And just an update on the FM converter. It works fine. Picks up all the main radio stations, and reception is about the same as my old car. Well worth the $40.

J

• 3 months later...

Hi J, one of the projects for this weekend. Did you simply use the aerial plug that came with the Jaycar converter,? Or did you have to change the plug? I think I read that Stageas (Skylines) had a 2 pin style plug, not the more common coaxial style.

productLarge_161.jpg

G'day SK,

Mine had 2 antenna cables coming out of the factory head unit. One normal (Australian sized) connector, and a smaller (thinner) connector. I just plugged the FM converter into the normal sized plug.

So you shouldn't have to change any of the plugs etc..

I 'think' the smaller plug could be for the AM stations maybe? Not sure.

It's pretty tight behind the stereo. Make sure there's no kids or ladies around when you do it cause if your like me you'll be saying a few choice words when your hand get's stuck in there :D

J

Talk about perfect timing!!!

Cheers for the shots of the console in pieces - mine copped a few tiny scratches when the converter was fitted & I don't want a repeat when my alarm is fitted on Monday.

My radio reception is pretty crap. I don't know whether to put it down to the converter or the fact that the antennas are in the rear side windows.....

I also have to replace one of the globes in the climate control unit, as 2 of my buttons no longer light up :rolleyes:

I too had to replace just about all the bulbs for the climate control!!

I found if you gently lever the hazard light switch off, you can use that hole to get your fingers behind the vents to pop them out.

As for the band expander, I heard if you only plus into one of the wires, you will loose conversion, therefore signal, in low signal areas, as the unit goes to the thinner wire aerial - I think it is called FM Diversity.

I too find the reception is pretty crap, and are thinking of fitting a 'normal' aerial somewhere rather than the glass one --- anybody got any ideas of what type and where to mount a normal aerial????????

Thanks to the photo's I've now pulled the interior of my car apart & had a good look around....

Yes it is a diversity antenna setup, and yes the soldering on mine where they'd attached the thick coax to one of the window antennas was crap (as was the dodgy scotchlock on the power feed to the expander). I'm going to get is all re-done on Monday when the alarm is fitted. You might be able to put a big FM-loop antenna under the rear carpet. Winding count to be calculated during installation :rolleyes:

FRom experience on my R32, and soon to be on my Stagea as they are ALL out, you need to remove the climate unit from the centre console. Eithor the bulbs will be push in from the back and easily accessable then, or else you need to un clip the front whole screen and then the buttons lights will be accessible. You can't get to the bulbs from the front, they generally push in from the back into the back of the buttons.

I have the same problem, i have the double din factory unit and the fan speed and mode butons don't light up.

i went to jaycar and got an fm converter, removed the stereo only to find out i already had one installe, but i didn't realise. made it much easier.

the only problem is with the stock aerial, i don't get too goo reception, and when i go under powerlines it crosses tripleJ with another station and i can't hear anything. i'm going to get a proper stereo installed i think, the stock one is just good for detering theives

LOL, I've got two buttons on my air con unit that don't light up too !! Except mine are the A/C and demist buttons...

When I change them, should I get new bulbs all round so they all light up at the same intesity ?

Also, the button to the right of the 4wd button on the dash doesn't light up either. Should it ?

J