SAU Community

2 DIN head unit in an M35

MrStabby

Holy shit that's expensive.

You shouldn't need an aftermarket fascia kit (unless you've got the stock volts, boost & torque gauge that you want to keep).

I have the sat nav with the pop-up screen in mine and replaced it with a touch-screen for Android Auto (running OpenAuto Pro on a Raspberry Pi 4).

All of those components are separate. If you're removing the SatNav, you could chuck the volts, boost & torque gauge where the CD-ROM is and put a double-DIN unit down the bottom.

• Like 1

Mine has the factory cd/tape/radio system that's integrated into the fascia, so its different to yours (there's no DIN slots).

Got any more info on that touch screen setup? I know a little about android having installed lineageOS on a motorola.

Oh right, I forgot that was a thing.

Here's my original post covering the Raspberry Pi setup.

Was using OSMC/Kodi for a while but was a bit annoying having to find something to play after first starting the car.

The great thing about OpenAuto Pro running Android Auto is music just starts playing straight away (I'd demo it for you but it defaults to maps and will show location and nav history).

Crankshaft is the free version but I reckon it's worth paying for OpenAuto Pro as it really is a bit more polished.

I was using the factory screen and an Apple TV remote with a programmable IR receiver (FLIRC) but was a bit tedious with OpenAuto Pro/Android Auto (you really need a touchscreen).

Worked out I could get a 7" in the factory location so ordered it from AliExpress. Did have to clearance some of the plastic to get it to fit snug and cable routing was a pain but works okay (I really wanted to retain the factory pop-up and retract setup rather than just having a fixed-screen sticking out of the dash).

Next step is to wire up the factory buttons for shortcuts like volume control and previous/next track. Once I do that, I can rip the Alpine unit out entirely.

If you're interested, this guy does a good guide on how to set it up and what components you need. It also does OBDII readouts with a compatible adapter.

• Like 1