SAU Community

370gt coupe Retrofitting

Hi Guys, i'm in love with my 370gt, my first car here in Australia and i'm thinking to get a new look for the interior. My question is if someone knows if newer parts from nissan would fit our babes.. for now i'm thinking on post 2018 Qasqai steering wheel and shift knobs, they look fresh and clean. What are your thoughts on this kind of mods?

Will they fit?

cheers!

• Like 1

You might be the first to try.

If you can do a test swap with someone that has a Qasqai before you commit.

The plugs for the steering wheel buttons might be the same, but if not you can always rewire 

• Like 1

Airbag compatibility is another consideration. Not to mention whether the spline is even the same, shape of steering column shroud vs. shape of back side of steering wheel (and therefore how poxy it might or might not look from the side/top view), etc etc.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Airbag compatibility is another consideration.

Do you know if is there any way to check this? like technical specs or something like this? the plug seem to be the same, but not sure about the voltage, resistance, or anything else that could involve this

2 hours ago, marcus1070 said:

Do you know if is there any way to check this? like technical specs or something like this? the plug seem to be the same, but not sure about the voltage, resistance, or anything else that could involve this

You'd be well advised to work from factory service manuals.

What do you mean "Just checked here"? Do you mean you looked around on SAU for FSMs? Or do you men you asked here? Because, you'll probably need to put more effort in than that to obtain both FSMs. Theres' no way that anyone on SAU gives 2 shits about Qashqais, so won't have a manual. And, you are probably the 1st person ever to want to swap a wheel from a more modern Renault Nissan into a V series Skyline.

I looked on infiniti g37 service manual, and only show info about the replacement procedure, there's no technical details on it.

14 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

And, you are probably the 1st person ever to want to swap a wheel from a more modern Renault Nissan into a V series Skyline.

Yeah, probably XD.. i prefer this newer models much more than those carbon fiber aftermarket ones, and they would be waaay cheaper also, so gain/gain if it works

well, i quit.. if it was just a project car or track, i would probably do it, but is my daily one.. so i will get one of these and it's fine: 
https://www.steeringcover.com/mewant-hand-stitch-sewing-black-leather-suede-carbon-fiber-car-steering-wheel-cover-for-infiniti-g25-g35-g37-2007-2013-ex35-ex37-2008-2013-q40-q60-2014-2015-qx50-2014-2018.html

But thanks for help @GTSBoy

Edited by marcus1070

41 minutes ago, marcus1070 said:

well, i quit.. if it was just a project car or track, i would probably do it, but is my daily one.. so i will get one of these and it's fine: 
https://www.steeringcover.com/mewant-hand-stitch-sewing-black-leather-suede-carbon-fiber-car-steering-wheel-cover-for-infiniti-g25-g35-g37-2007-2013-ex35-ex37-2008-2013-q40-q60-2014-2015-qx50-2014-2018.html

But thanks for help @GTSBoy

o0ooo.. these sew on's are a huge commitment. Get the video before you buy, and check around on how long it takes for a first timer, not a professional. I think I saw something on youtube which made me hesitant to go down that path.

Yeah, i seen it. It require some patience to do. But i already installed my niftycity module,, so with my car i have it xD.. but i guess it's necessary to remove the steering wheel from the car, even they saying that is not required, doing that inside the car would be a pain in the axx.

Please report back with how you go! They look great in the photos. But then I saw the list of ingredients and went "yeah nah, I would completely stuff that up".

What’s in the box

• 1 Mewant steering wheel cover
  • 1 installation instruction
  • 1 double-side tape
  • 2 sew thread
  • 1 thimble
  • 1 needle
  • 1 small blade

@Vee37, do you know of any professionals who do this? I like the idea of getting a well fitting cover instead of going for a whole new steering wheel.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, soviet_merlin said:

...snip...

@Vee37, do you know of any professionals who do this? I like the idea of getting a well fitting cover instead of going for a whole new steering wheel.

No, the most obvious target, you would normally pay Motor Trimmers, who charge by the hour, it looks very labor intensive in time, and therefore I think it wouldn't be cheap.

One thing I have thought to look into is something like Air-Tasker. At least then you are not paying a skilled professional rate to perform simple repetitive monkey work.

Just did a quick search on YouTube, and found this vid. It took him 6hrs.

One thing I did notice before I fond the above vid, there are different patterns to stitch it to together, some would obviously take longer, but as expected, probably look better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1