SAU Community

RB25DET S2 to R34(NA GT manual trans)

Hi guys...quick question.

Can i fit the RB25DET S2 from R33 GTS-T to my R34 GT? it is completely stock.
I know trans is weak but it should at least mate or?
And what about everything else?

I just asking cuz someone selling their S2 engine for 4500k AUD which is great price considering it is in my country and i dont need to pay extremely high postage.

59 minutes ago, Kapr said:

Can i fit the RB25DET S2 from R33 GTS-T to my R34 GT? it is completely stock

Yes.

59 minutes ago, Kapr said:

I know trans is weak but it should at least mate or?

Yes, it will mate.

But, this is not a trivial swap. You will need to sort out ECU and engine wiring, as they are not simply plug and play. You will need a fuel pump, stronger clutch, intercooler and plumbing.

You really should upgrade the brakes.

By the way - this question has been asked on here about 1000 times before.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the answer.
I was looking for question but found only swap to RB25DET NEO.

The guy selling says it has everything. Wiring and ECU and i already have breakes from R34 GTT.
Stronger clutch should be "easy" to find/buy...fuel pump too and intercooler-plumbing is already on the engine.(plumbing would be new and designed to fit)

Is there anything else i would need or to look for?

I presume that if i find the NEO engine things will be the same for the swap?

3 hours ago, Kapr said:

I presume that if i find the NEO engine things will be the same for the swap?

No. You will have NO option but to Nistune the ECU or use an aftermarket ECu to run the Neo because it will have a shit fit over the absence of the TCS CU.

• Thanks 1

So for the RB25DET from R33 i do not need Nistune the ECU but for the NEO i do?
The guy who sells the NEO engine says he is doing Nistune too so it will be easier...but of course much more expensive.

I just looking for options and what i can/cant do in here.
So thank you for all the info 🙂

EDIT(cant edit the previous post).

And something little bit different.
What about RB25DE NEO(non Turbo)? In case my engine will "blow" or something happens where it will not reasonable to repair?
This engine should be ok to fit? I think it has the same trans.

From your information and everything a read so far about Turbo/Swap...it is/will be waste of money.

13 hours ago, Kapr said:

So for the RB25DET from R33 i do not need Nistune the ECU but for the NEO i do?
The guy who sells the NEO engine says he is doing Nistune too so it will be easier...but of course much more expensive.

I just looking for options and what i can/cant do in here.
So thank you for all the info 🙂

Not only would you not have to Nistune the ECU, but you actually cannot. The R33 ECU is different to all the others and won't take a daughterboard.

The R33 does not have TCS and so doesn't care if transplanted into a chassis without it. The R34 ECU expects TCS.

There is one option there though, which is to get a Neo from a Stagea, as they did not have TCS either. But, I would be at least Nistuning the ECU so you can tune the bloody thing anyway, so a Stagea motor is not really a solution to a problem that needs solving by any other means than Nistuning anyway.

12 hours ago, Kapr said:

And something little bit different.
What about RB25DE NEO(non Turbo)? In case my engine will "blow" or something happens where it will not reasonable to repair?
This engine should be ok to fit? I think it has the same trans.

I'm not sure what you're asking here. Are you asking if you can transplant the exact same engine that you already have? The R34 GT has an RB25DE Neo already.

There is no particular reason for your existing engine to "blow". They are tough and understressed.

• Thanks 1

Ok so that is that on the R33 engine. The guy says he has ECU and everything...it is cheaper and should be ok engine.
One thing i read(i think) that clutch is different on R33? I know i will need a new one anyway. Fuel pump is ok my needs to go out anyway.
Of course i would get an aftermarket ECU for tunning.
And maybe the worst part...need to ask either my mechanic or someone here if he can do this and mainly do this legally.
More power and anything is cool but no way iam gonna be driving without all ok on legall side.

I have the RB20DE NEO...not the 25 :-) 
But if iam gonna swap engine anyway and if i have the money...it is kinda nonsense to buy NA to replace NA.

EDIT: seems i miss the Stagea part. Yeah the other guy who is selling the RB25DET NEO is indeed selling Stagea engines.

Edited by Kapr

54 minutes ago, Kapr said:

clutch is different on R33

No. The clutch is different on the NEO DET. It's a pull clutch, whereas everything else (except R33/4 GTRs) is push. Your existing box and the 33 turbo box should both be push.

But it's not as if it matters. Just use a clutch to suit whatever box you end up using.

So in recap if i buy that GTS-T engine(S2) with ECU and wire harness(guy says it is complete engine)
Intercooler too.
I can swap that with "no" problems?
I know...new clutch and pump.

Sry i know i maybe asking like a dumb person but iam trying to gather as much and clear information cuz i dont think anybody knows about this to much in here.
And i dont want to end with engine swap half way...so iam trying to eliminate all the "problems" before 😞
But many thanks for all the info!

On 2/5/2023 at 11:52 AM, GTSBoy said:

But, this is not a trivial swap. You will need to sort out ECU and engine wiring, as they are not simply plug and play.

I have quoted myself. It is not plug and play. You will have to integrate the looms. Different cars, different wires doing different things. All in the engine bay.