SAU Community

Compliance Workshops? - 89 GTR

mattyray

Gday guys n girls

Not sure if this belongs in here, but i'm after specific Perth info.

I am waiting on my 89 GTR to come accross from Japan and am in the process of organising customs/insurance/compliance etc etc.

What I am after is feedback/info/recommendations on workshops that could do compliance on 89 GTRs, preferably workshops that have done this model before. Any info is appreciated....costs/reputation/workmanship etc etc.

I have contacted the 3 workshops recommended by Prestige, but I like to research stuff as much as possible :-)

Thanks heaps!

Mat

Cheers dude, I had thought of doing it myself as nothing on the list does look that hard (except maybe the side intrusion bars).

The way my job is though I just dont think I would have the time/patience to get it done myself over a couple weekends. Its a toss up between having the money or having the time/effort and I'd rather pay someone and get it done quick...

My days of turning a spanner are (hopefully) over.

Cheers for the input though, its all appreciated :cheers:

Mat

My mate and I complied an 1988 model Silvia under the 15 year rule requirements back in October last year

To get it over the pits, we:

1). Didn't have to put side intrusion bars in; asked about it and they said it wasn't required.

2). The fuel filler restrictor we got from a Jap shop in Maddington. Removed the fuel pipe (leading into the tank) and took it to Ian diffen who put it onto a pipe enlarger. Then we placed the filler restrictor into the pipe with fuel resistant silicone. (Or can find the pipe from a wreck). ~$15

3). Child restraignts had to be mounted directly behind (or 5cm either side of) the rear seats; 2 of them. Bolt them into the parcel shelf. Can buy from Bentley Garage or any workshop. (Or again from a wreck) - ~$5

4). The drivers side mirror was changed with a flat mirror; find one on a wreck. ~$5

5). High-mount stop light, buy from any automotive accessories shop. ~$20

6). Immobilisor, phone up anyone to come to your house (so you don't have to get a permit), and get them to install one on the spot. ~$109

7). The tyres from Japan were acceptable; they weren't required to be DOT approved, so no cost.

Most of the stuff on that list we got for free, so cost even less. We were quoted by a well known local workshop $1500 to get it complied (= the stuff listed above).

Yeah, 89 GTRs dont have side intrusion bars, they def need to be fitted.

There's been plenty of rule changes since Oct03, most notably you now require an engineer/RAWS to sign off on roadworthiness and compliance mods. Also, the areas that need mods are different from model to model, so mods needed for a GTR may be different than a Silvia, 300zx, RX7 etc and vice versa.

Thanks for the input guys, all opinions/experiences are good to hear!

Mat

Oh well doesn't matter anyway.

The point I was making is how little it cost to get the car done compared to what a workshop wanted .... in October 2003.

Was merely trying to save a fellow skyliner a couple of $$

If it's all changed now then so be it.

John Cullen on 0415618326 and his email [email protected] knows a lot about complying 15 year old cars as that is all he does.

It is a lot of work to know but it isnt that expencive.

This is what they look into with each 15 year old car, get somebody who has done a lot and they know what they are doing.

All questions to be completed by an approved signatory. COMPLIANCE (mark with X)

ADR 1/00 REVERSING SIGNAL LAMPS Effective date July 1988

ADR 2/00 Door Latches and Hinges Effective date July 1988

ADR 3/00 - SEATS AND SEAT ANCHORAGES

Effective date July 1988

ADR 4/00 - SEATBELTS

Effective date July 1988

ADR 5 00 – ANCHORAGES FOR SEATBELTS

Effective date July 1988

ADR 6/00 Direction turn Signals Lamps

Effective date October 1988

ADR 7/00 - HYDRAULIC BRAKE HOSES

Effective date July 1988

ADR 8/00 Safety Glazing Material

Effective date July 1988

ADR 10/00 - STEERING COLUMN

Effective date July 1988

ADR 11/00 – INTERNAL SUN VISORS

Effective date July 1988

ADR 12/00 - GLARE REDUCTION IN THE FIELD OF VIEW

Effective date July 1988

ADR 13/00 - INSTALLATION OF LIGHTS & LIGHT SIGNALLING DEVICES

Effective date Sept 1991

ADR 14/00 - REAR VISION MIRROR

Effective date July 1988

ADR 15/00- DEMISTING OF WINDSCREEN

Effective date July 1988

ADR 16/00 - WINDSCREEN WIPERS & WASHERS

Effective date July 1988

ADR 18/00 – INSTRUMENTATION

Effective date July 1988

ADR 21/00 - INSTRUMENT PANEL

Effective date July 1988

ADR 22/00 - HEAD RESTRAINTS

Effective date July 1988

ADR 24/00 - TYRE AND RIM SELECTION

Effective date July 1988

ADR 25/00 - ANTI-THEFT LOCK

Effective date July 1988

ADR 28/00 - EXTERNAL NOISE OF MOTOR VEHICLES

Effective date July 1988

ADR 29/00 - SIDE DOOR STRENGTH

Effective date July 1988

ADR 30/00 - SMOKE EMISSION CONTROL FOR DIESEL VEHICLES

Effective date July 1988

ADR 31/00 - PASSENGER CAR BRAKES (MA Category Only)

Effective date July 1988

ADR 34/00 - CHILD RESTRAINT ANCHORAGES & CHILD RESTRAINT

Effective date July 1988

ADR 35/00 - COMMERCIAL VEHICLE BRAKE SYSTEMS (MB & MC CATEGORY)

Effective date July 1988

ADR 37/00 - EMISSION CONTROL FOR LIGHT VEHICLES

Effective date July 1988

ADR 41/00 - MANDATORY OPERATION ON UNLEADED PETROL

Effective date July 1988

ADR 42/00 - GENERAL SAFETY REQUIREMENTS

Effective date July 1988

ADR 43, 43/01 - VEHICLE CONFIGURATION & MARKING

Effective date July 1988

ADR 60/00 - CENTRE HIGH MOUNTED STOP LAMPS

Effective date July 1989 MA category

thanx for that but would he have the time to sit there and explain to me what needs to be done?

any doco's on the web showing the detials? or even a simple list? dot website maybe?

steve

Email me your personal email address and I will send you the check list they have to get tne enginner to sign off.

Tryied to post it but to big.