SAU Community

R33...upgrade perfomance?

maxkhor

I run mine on about 10-11psi MAX and I am quite happy with the performance of the car at that boost level... if I want more power then I will probably just go for a larger turbo and sell on my still healthy R33 turbo, and know I can get that much more power reliably :D

I run mine on about 10-11psi MAX and I am quite happy with the performance of the car at that boost level...  if I want more power then I will probably just go for a larger turbo and sell on my still healthy R33 turbo, and know I can get that much more power reliably :D

What type of larger turbo would you head towards. I am thinking a HKS GT2835R would be the ideal setep as it won't be a lag monster and will provide a good 1.2Bar of boost all the way from 3000-7000rpm from what I can work out.

I can see how you could have that opinion, but the problem as I see it is you have a 14 psi car that you are afraid to use for more than "the odd burst".   You might as well not bother, you can't really use it.  I would much rather drive along at 10 psi and know I can safely use it any time I like, for as long as I want.  I would find it frustrating, as over any length of time or distance at 14 psi it would be ultimatley slower than a car running 10 psi all the time.

But hey, whatever floats your boat :D

lol... I'm not affraid to use it at all. My car has actually been to the track (well the drags) a few times, unlike most of the other daily driven cars around the place. Its just a little hard to do more than the odd burst in every day traffic 5 days a week. How often does your car see full boost getting from A to B? Your opinion seems to suggest that modifying a daily driver at all is a waste of time.

Anyway point taken. Over 10psi you take a risk. I spose the real rule is there is no rule.

What type of larger turbo would you head towards. I am thinking a HKS GT2835R would be the ideal setep as it won't be a lag monster and will provide a good 1.2Bar of boost all the way from 3000-7000rpm from what I can work out.

Thats pretty much what I aspire to getting, I haven't had the pleasure of experiencing one myself - but they sound good.

Thats pretty much what I aspire to getting, I haven't had the pleasure of experiencing one myself - but they sound good.

Yeah I am trying to find one that is in each good condition or well great condition. They are pretty hard to get used, but I can't afford to fork out over $3k just for a new HKS GT2835R, I am thinking maybe $2000 max.

The HKS GT2835R has a good wrap to every mechanic I speak to and obviously to the drivers that have em :)

just curious would there be any real difference between boosting your r33 to 11psi and tune it when compared to 10psi and tune it? other mods are full exhaust, filter, fmic, boost ccontroller.

my car is about to go in for it to be tuned and am wondering is there any great difference between 10 and 11psi, or would both get the basically the same power give or take a couple kw...

just curious would there be any real difference between boosting your r33 to 11psi and tune it when compared to 10psi and tune it? other mods are full exhaust, filter, fmic, boost ccontroller.

my car is about to go in for it to be tuned and am wondering is there any great difference between 10 and 11psi, or would both get the basically the same power give or take a couple kw...

I found that there was no significant difference excetp for a few kw.. nothing much either.. and that was between 10-12psi

lol timbar i guess it depends on what time you are going to work :D on this topic of boost though i am intending on getting a EBC when i get my full 3" straight through exhaust + K+N panel filter but not intending on getting a FMIC 10psi should be fine i would assume any more might be pushing it in the warmer weather i guess... sound about right ???

You dont really get a huge increase in peak power from 10-13psi, but the mid range torque is a huge difference.

Yep, the turbo is not big enough to supply sufficient airflow to hold 13 psi at high rpm. So you get a good result up to around 5,750 rpm and then it drops off in airflow. Also you get heated inlet air due to the turbo operating outside its efficiency range, which robs even more power.

Plus you are rolling the dice on turbo life, it really is a no win scenario :D

Yep, the turbo is not big enough to supply sufficient airflow to hold 13 psi at high rpm.  So you get a good result up to around 5,750 rpm and then it drops off in airflow.  Also you get heated inlet air due to the turbo operating outside its efficiency range, which robs even more power.

Plus you are rolling the dice on turbo life, it really is a no win scenario :D

Your right, the boost drop off is quite significant. My peak boost is at 4500rpm then she just falls away. But what i was trying to say is, overlap the torque graphs between high and low boost, and you will find midrange is substantially stronger.

You dont really get a huge increase in peak power from 10-13psi, but the mid range torque is a huge difference.

Haha - while that is being mentioned, I have discovered that 10psi -> 11psi is the threshold where my car moves from being able to go into second (I dont flat shift) and get the rear wheels scuffing but still accelerate hard, and being able to go into second and start a fairly impressive second gear burnout :D