SAU Community

RB26DETT questions

Dayna

ok, i searched but can not find, so if i missed what i'm after point me in the right direction.

I have got myself a GTR R32 RB26DETT motor from JAPA land. Standard engine.

Apart from street use, i compete in Drift comps here in NZ, this motor has just been put in me car and soon to start it up and run it. I drive a Cefiro A31

Reliability is more important than max HP to me, so boost will be keept below 12psi.

my Questions are:

I have been told about worries of oil problems with the R32GTR engines. are they big enough that i should not be thinking about track use until I do some modifications? or are these engines just as reliable as any other RB engine.

I have limited time before the next competition (2nd October) and could probably remove engine strip clutch etc and take sump of and do modifications, but is this necessary. sure its a good idea, but is it a high risk?

Sump baffles should be easy to custom, any ideas?, but there is a common problem with the standard oil pump drive setup. How do I fix this. Please point me in the direction i need to go.

Basically, am I good to go (as good as any other engine??) or should I flag the competition and do some work on the engine to make it reliable.

I am running a standard engine, and will run 10psi-12psi boost. 3 inch exhaust, intake.

the engine has supposedly done 70,000k

My previous engine was a rb20det, done 170,000, i boosted it to 14psi and bet the shit out of it and it still goes mint till the day i removed it.

Thankyou for you input.

Dayna

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I got 4th, i spun pushing my car a bit too much, pressure when up against the best. but will learn alot from the experience, next time!

Very happy to get up there considering i got to get used to my cars new setup, thr rb26 goes very well i must say even on standard boost settings.

Thinking about upgrading the oil system, dry sump. money money money!

oh, and the miss?? i'm pressuming your talking about my car not running right due to the fact I had not finished the return piping for the blow off valves. Friday morning i finished the pipe work and it ran great.

Other wise your talking about a little miss which is likely the plugs, or something. The car has not been driven enough for me to look into it. Currently modifiying guards for clearance and hopefully have a cert soon for road use.

D

AFAIC any car fitted with a stock sump should at least have some sort of baffle system fitted if it's to be used for trackwork. Stock sumps aren't designed for it and oil starvation/surge is a very real possibility. Obviously a dry sump system is the 'ideal' and probably mandatory for 'professional' competition, but it depends on how deep your pockets are.....