SAU Community

to cam or not to cam

NickR33

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found that after doing cams, Tomei, that I got boost creep over 5000rpm and there was nothing I cguld do to stop it either. I have highflowed original turboes though which makes extra airflow again. The waste gates are fully open at 14psi and functioning perfectly, the waste gate holes simply can't pass the extra volume of air. Just my input.

Mike

no wife, children, or house... just a broken skyline:(
What you talking about cars are like women ! :rofl:

They perform when you test drive them but once you own them its all over :D:)

SK,

Is it hard to fit Tomei Poncams yourself ?

Also what would you recomend them being rev'd too before power loss occurs, In mind that everything else can handel it. - bottom end etc.

I have to say at the moment my gf causes me much less stress than my car...

at least when my car is off the road my gf drives me round...(doesn't work in reverse)...when my gf is away my car won't...well...um...never mind;)

i've got 260deg poncams in the 33gtr,

we put them in with the standard turbos and you could really feel the diferance, the power would keep going till 8500rpm we only stopped because it was a stock motor.

now once the car is had its final tune (in a couple of weeks) we'll take it out to 9000rpm

and a bit further down the track once we have money again and put in some valve retainers we'll bump it up to 9500rpm and 27psi and try to crack 350awkw!

as for if you should get them thats a yes in a big way.

as for idle, sounds a bit like a rotor! barb barb barb barb!

I found that after doing cams, Tomei, that I got  boost creep over 5000rpm and there was nothing I could do to stop it either. I have highflowed original turboes though which makes  extra airflow again. The waste gates are fully open at 14psi and functioning perfectly, the waste gate holes simply can't pass the extra volume of air. Just my input.

Mike

Hi Mike, seen it a couple of times, happens because when the turbos are high flowed they don't enlarge the wastegate sufficiently. My suggestion would be to take them back to the turbo shop and have them upgrade the wastegates. :(

SK: does that apply to just the RB25/RB25NEOs, or would you say the same for RB26s (running stock turbos)?

LW.

Hi LW, I am a bit paranoid about ceramic turbines, they always let go at the worst possible times. So I get rid of them pretty early in the upgrade path. I kinda do cat back, filter, ecu, then do turbo and split dump together, followed by intercooler and cams. But that's just me, others do it differently :(

Hey Inasnt, I got a quote for the Tomei metal head gasket as well as the cams...just wanted to know...

1. is it worth the money when I'm only running 200rwkw

2. which thickness is best for my power level

thanks

For 200rwkw i wouldnt bother with a sftermarket headgasket as the stock nisssan one does a good job. I was looking at a 1.6mm tomei one recently but going thicker than stock drops your compression so the point of knock is entended when big boost pressures are added, so unless you have big power in mind its pointless spending $600 on a tomei headgasket.

I have had a crap load of parts sent over from nengun and greenline in the last few years and they have never been picked up by customs (touch wood)

For 200rwkw i wouldnt bother with a sftermarket headgasket as the stock nisssan one does a good job. I was looking at a 1.6mm tomei one recently but going thicker than stock drops your compression so the point of knock is entended when big boost pressures are added, so unless you have big power in mind its pointless spending $600 on a tomei headgasket.

Thanks mate, will save the cash and spend it on other goodies...