SAU Community

HKS Wastegates

B33st

I am about to order a HKS 3037s turbo to hang off the side of my 33. Have been looking at the HKS setup kit to go with it. The only thing confusing me is the wasegate comming with the kit, being 0.8-1.1, 1.1-1.4, 1.4-1.7 or 1.7-2.0bar. I always thought they came with a set pressure rating, are these ones adjustable in some way or am i missing something.

leigh.

:confused: It should have a couple of different srpings that you can put in it. Eg: 7 psi spring, 10psi spring and 15psi spring.

By the looks of that you can choose what rating you wish.

What boost pressure are you going to run ? - 1.1 - 1.4 bar spring would be good for your application or turbo size. that ranges from 16 - 20 psi.

A member on these forums, username: Steve, he is running the same turbo setup and a HKS wastegate if you want more information on them ask him.

:cheers:

Jun

From the HKS usa web site

"The GT Wastegate also features the ability to adjust its base boost level by changing the tension on the wastegate spring"

the wastegate that comes with the setup kit is not one of these GT ones but seems to have the same variable base boost settings. They have the info on the japanese site but i am no good at reading japanese.

Can anyone else give me more info on these.

leigh

The spring(s) determines the boost range which the wastegate operates in, fine tuning is done with the small bolt in the lid of the wastegate. It's easy enough to change the range by putting in a different spring or combination of springs, since they use an inner and outer spring in the assembly.

If you want a higher range of boost you're better off getting a softer, low boost spring to begin with and using an EBC to raise it above that threshold. I know a fair few people would prefer to run the proper spring to begin with, since boost pressure are less likely to fluctuate wildly if you run it with the proper springs for the boost pressure you want.