SAU Community

Bad Fuel?

Sparki_D

Hey guys,

Went on the Team Dream cruise yesterday to Nowra, from Nowra headed to Batemans bay too meet a friend, long of the short is, I had to fill up at batemans, used Caltex Vortex as it was the best fuel I could get as I had SFA left in the tank, problem being the car pinged like hell on anything over 7psi on the way home, I figured bad fuel so called my mate behind me running a powerFC and he said his knock sensor was fine. The air outside was very cold (not sure on temp), I run a EMS stinger but the car was fine on the way in, was it bad fuel, the cool air, or do I need a tune?

Would cold air affect a tune that much? Ie the car was tuned at 25degC ambient, and the air on the way home im guessing was around 12degC?

Thanks in advance

95RON even with the RB20T's 8.5:1 comp ratio pings on stock boost - stock everything.

Mine did. It made 115rwkw.

Dropped in some 98 BP/Mobil and it made 125rwkw as it allowed a little more ignition timing.

That was back in the day where 99% of BP servo's didn't have BP Ultimate.

yeah, I've never owned a car that's as fussy as the Line, when it comes to fuel!!!

One fill....ace, the next?.....you'd think you were running on lemonade!!

BTW..I use expensomax, and even though I use the one brand only, I swear the petrol differs from station to station!!(?).

I Might go try that Ulticrap stuff, everyones talkin' 'bout it!!

Mark

I find I get consistance performance with BP Ultimate..

Mobil Synergy 8000 for some reason will be great one fill then a little sluggy the next.

Hey JOEL,

do you reckon Ulticrap goes "as hard" as the expensomax? (acceleration, etc)

We only have BP and Mobil over here.

Apart from that.. they are both the same acceleration wise.

If you can pick it, then its all in your head! :D

But yer.. I'm off Mobil as I've had a couple tanks that make the car ping in turn it tends to feel a little flat.

We only have BP and Mobil over here.

Apart from that.. they are both the same acceleration wise.

If you can pick it, then its all in your head! :P

But yer.. I'm off Mobil as I've had a couple tanks that make the car ping in turn it tends to feel a little flat.

yep, u r right...I'm often in my head.

But I figure that if u can buy a particular petrol that makes ur car go 'ping', and u can hear it, then u should be able to buy a particular petrol that makes your car go 'bang', and you should 'feel' it.

...........anyways.

Thanx, Mark

Thats what unleaded is for... ping..

Just a matter of how oldish Mobil fuel tends to go off. (I've worked in a Mobil Servo part time while at Uni and played around a little)

My Experience is BP fuel doesn't go off.