SAU Community

500hp fuel consumption

I have a 96 r33 vpec that currently running 22psi and has 486kw on the wheels it's running on e85 and I'm getting about 90km from 3/4 of a tank 

It's booked in at jem for a flex tune and maybe a eco/cruise day tune just so I don't have to stop ever 90km to fill up 

Just wanting to see who out there has similar power and what millage U getting out of a tank? 

Clip for attention 

Posted (edited)

Mixed driving, usually meet ups and cruise days consist of both

I just Purchased the car but it's chewing about 54L/100km from a rough calculation but when I fill up next I'll have a more accurate L/100 it's just i haven't hit the 100km mark yet for me to go full up to the first click 

And it's only tuned ATM for e85 it's booked in for a retuned and a few different maps, plus flex fuel next month but I'm just interested in what others out there are achieving on their builds 

Edited by [SKYHI]

All good mate. No need to worry about actually hitting the 100 km mark, just zero out your trip meter the next time you fill up. Then whenever you decide to refill again, fill up the tank and post up how much fuel you used and the km driven. 

As for burning 54L/100km, I'd be amazed if that was the actual figure. If that was real, that is batshit crazy rich and I'm amazed the car runs well. We really need the actual numbers to be able to give proper feedback. 

Do you have a wideband o2 sensor in the car? Can you tell us what your cruising AFR's are like? 

• Like 1

Last year, I went on a couple of trips with my mate who has a 500hp R34 GTT sedan. I have a stock R34 GTT coupe. When it came to fill-up time, I was shocked to see we were putting near-identical amounts in. On these trips, I drove a lot less efficiently than him - keeping the revs higher - and being considerably more aggressively on back roads. Justification: it was Japan and gasoline is as cheap as piss. 

My car doesn't have any fuel consumption related issues. I can't remember exactly what I can get from a tank but roughly 4-500kms seems about right.  

As far as my friend's motor is concerned, I don't know the precise details of his build but it's something along the lines of: stock bottom end, tomei pon cams, bigger hot side, injectors, Nismo fuel pump, front-facing plenum and Nistune. 

• Thanks 1

Depends on how you’re driving it but that seems far to rich, for reference  I was able to get 330kms to a tank before it literally ran out due a faulty fuel sender telling me I had half a tank, that included a trip to roll racing 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah there is soemthing going on the with calcs, or may be the fuel sender and/or odometer is not working properly. E85 will use a fair bit more fuel, but that is like 30% more not 200% more :)

Off boost your car is pretty much like any standard engine (noting it probably has cams which would decrease the efficiency a litte). My 400kw stagea gets around 12l/100 on highway driving on 98; not great but not terrible

• Thanks 1

My old 500hp R33 25/30 boat used about 20 L/100 Km around town, and about 15 L/100 Km on the Hwy on 98

Currently my 500hp blown LS1 in a Dunnydoore uses around 25 L/100 Km around town, and 12 L/100 Km Hwy on 98

I'm assuming your fuel gauge isn't accurate 

2 hours ago, The Bogan said:

My old 500hp R33 25/30 boat used about 20 L/100 Km around town, and about 15 L/100 Km on the Hwy on 98

Currently my 500hp blown LS1 in a Dunnydoore uses around 25 L/100 Km around town, and 12 L/100 Km Hwy on 98

I'm assuming your fuel gauge isn't accurate 

I hope so I'll find out next fill up true usage as I zeroed off the KMs last fill 

Just need to get the blinkers back on the front front of the car before taking it out 

But thanks for the rough estimates I does give me some sort of target I'll be looking at after tuning

9 hours ago, Murray_Calavera said:

All good mate. No need to worry about actually hitting the 100 km mark, just zero out your trip meter the next time you fill up. Then whenever you decide to refill again, fill up the tank and post up how much fuel you used and the km driven. 

As for burning 54L/100km, I'd be amazed if that was the actual figure. If that was real, that is batshit crazy rich and I'm amazed the car runs well. We really need the actual numbers to be able to give proper feedback. 

Do you have a wideband o2 sensor in the car? Can you tell us what your cruising AFR's are like? 

Yeah it has the full haltech catalogue of sensors it's booked into jem mid next month so I can get more info from them just need to get a new muffler and resonator fitted before then looking at the sp mufflers 4" inlet muffler and res 

2 hours ago, [SKYHI] said:

Yeah it has the full haltech catalogue of sensors it's booked into jem mid next month so I can get more info from them just need to get a new muffler and resonator fitted before then looking at the sp mufflers 4" inlet muffler and res 

You could go for a drive, plug in a laptop and log data. If you upload the data here, that would answer a lot of questions. 

Yeah, that's using way, way, way too much fuel. I'd expect that much only if it was at a constant 100% throttle open situation.

Consider somewhere between 20-30 l/100 to be normal use on E85. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, admS15 said:

Consider somewhere between 20-30 l/100 to be normal use on E85.

I'd bank on no more that 15 if you're not leaning on it all the time. I get flat 10s on 98.

On 17/03/2024 at 7:53 PM, GTSBoy said:

I'd bank on no more that 15 if you're not leaning on it all the time. I get flat 10s on 98.

I should of said that's for a mix of driving around town with quite a bit of loud pedal and no highway driving. I figure most of us use our skylines as a means to a bit of fun.

I usually get around 20-23l/100 for the above type of driving with 315rwkw on E85. It would probably be a little better if my trips to work where longer (only 15 min drive), would waste a bit on cold engine enrichment.

I reckon I could get 15l/100 if I drove in full fuel economy mode. No loud pedal, just cruise. I'd rather drive a Camry than do that, lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Murray_Calavera said:

You could go for a drive, plug in a laptop and log data. If you upload the data here, that would answer a lot of questions. 

What program will i need on the laptop ?

5 hours ago, [SKYHI] said:

What program will i need on the laptop ?

With all your Haltech sensors, I'm guessing you also have a Haltech ECU?

Grab the right software for your ECU from here. 

https://www.haltech.com/downloads/

Here is a nice little quick start guide. When you setup the data logger, you can just log every channel to keep things easy. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Murray_Calavera said:

With all your Haltech sensors, I'm guessing you also have a Haltech ECU?

Grab the right software for your ECU from here. 

https://www.haltech.com/downloads/

Here is a nice little quick start guide. When you setup the data logger, you can just log every channel to keep things easy. 

Yes the receipts from the previous owner says haltech 2500 thanks I'll get cracking and let U know the info I find in there 

• Like 1