SAU Community

Going to Japan in December!!

REDFC

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Jarek when u heading over? im excited as much as im nervous.....

guys im heading over through NOVA and im staying in Tokyo. shared living with NOVA apartments are going to cost me like 60k a month... anyone here stay with NOVA apartments? just wandering wheter they allow girls into the apartments coz the lady i had at the interview was saying something like girls part and guys part of the building only... the reason i ask this is that my girlfriend is coming over too and although we are not living together can she come over sometimes and vice versa.. anyone know from experience?

Lam , not 100% sure when yet, I'm hopefuly staying with my friend in Kobe from feb/march. but i'm still not sure whether to go over jobless and find a job there, or to get a job before and go over through one of thie big companies like jet or nova. keep in touch anyway !

So Jarek when u heading over? im excited as much as im nervous.....

guys im heading over through NOVA and im staying in Tokyo. shared living with NOVA apartments are going to cost me like 60k a month... anyone here stay with NOVA apartments? just wandering wheter they allow girls into the apartments coz the lady i had at the interview was saying something like girls part and guys part of the building only... the reason i ask this is that my girlfriend is coming over too and although we are not living together can she come over sometimes and vice versa.. anyone know from experience?

Lam are you asian?

Will be difficult to get a job here if you want to teach English.

Lam are you asian?

Will be difficult to get a job here if you want to teach English.

Why so informer ?? I know a few japanese guys in japan that are studying to become english teachers ! and they've never even been outside Japan .

That's different.

I'm talking about foreigners who wants to work as teachers/instructors in conversational schools like Nova and Berlitz. There's also the JET program which is pretty difficult to get into.

Those local guys trying to be English teachers are probably aiming for high schools, they have to work their butt off to qualify, lots of tests to go through. Their spoken English still sucks cause all they are tested are on theory. If you want to take the same job, you have to be fluent in Japanese and be a certified teacher.

Informer is incorrect, there are many asian teachers with Nova. To score a job at a high school you dont have to be a qualified teacher but you do have to have pretty decent japanese. A few mates have left nova for teaching in High schools... but Im lovin the part time life atm :D

lamtran, no problem with chicks in your apartment as long as its ok with your room mates. tip would be to get the hell out of the nova apartment ASAP and move into a place with your girlfirend. You will save heaps and have privacy plus be able to be with your girlfriend full time.

informer, i'm from Poland, been living here all my life too, no one even realises i'm not aussie until I tell them my name. so your saying you think i'll have issues being accepted for a position because I'm a foreigner ?? i doubt what your saying is correct, accept for situations where the person still has an obvious accent.

out of curiousity, are you in a big school like nova yourself? how is it ?

i'm looking to apply for JET but I wouldnt jet over to Japan till mid next year, which is aaages away :D

Streeter, so you are doing it part time with NOVA?? whats the overtime like is there many hours?

I was thinking about the moving out part but my girlfriend has sworn to her parents that she wont be living with me so i doubt that we will be living together...

man im soo excited and cant wait to get there.....

There is overtime available but I wouldnt waste my time with Nova. If you want more money work elsewhere. Private lessons and maybe even other companies would be the go.

Nova is easy and convenient for the person who cant be bothered organising things them selves. But you can easily put in alot of time for them and the pay check isnt that great... infact it works out the less you work for them the better as alot of the pay is made up of allowances like regional, service, travel, regularity etc at the moment something like 60%-70% of my pay is actually for teaching! so if possible I want to lower the amount of time I work there (but im already on the minimum) LOL

I work 20 hours a week and my pay is 200k yen a month. I send car parts back on the side but if I wanted serious cash (if I wasnt lazy) I could try and find another part time teaching job in the morning/weekends and be looking at 350k+ which is ALOT more than fulltimers at Nova get.

Gojira, actually no...Nova is the easiest way to get your foot in the door...you just need to be a native speaker...and no offence to those working at Nova. But it's because of this I don't see their teachers (not those who are qualified or graduates) as having any benefit to the students to be honest. Course there are some who genuinely make an effort but everyone is only here to visit/play or import a car!

Yeah Laurence thats right. You do need a degree or equivalent (in anything) to teach full time at Nova. Part time is, I think, one or maybe two years of tertiary education minimum eg TAFE, uni short course etc. You also need to have done all your schooling in an Englsih speaking country and also pass the entrance exam/test not that its hard (although a couple of my friends didnt get through :D)

Lee - As for not being of benefit to the students, when I first started I would have agreed but I have seen many students who have learnt english to a remarkably high level at Nova so it seems to work ok?

But as for defending Nova, I think they are money hungry dogs and nothing is more important to them than profit, so dont think I am some Nova arse licker either :)

*edit*

REDFC - I work for Nova part time and that is 200k yen clear a month (not that you get taxed that much here anyway)