SAU Community

Random Issues

BasketCase

hey guys, I have an Rb 25 in my ceffie, and just recently every now and then seemably at random my motor just shits itself and looses power stalls, but if im quick and flick it into neutral and rev it a little, it will keep going as long as I don't let the revs drop to idle.

Now this little siezure will last about 30s to a minute whilst I think my car is dead and im looking for a spot to bail by the side of the road. I pull over keep it going or even let it stall, then a min later and it will start and drive perfectly like nothing ever happened.

It doesn't matter whether the motor is hot or cold but it only started in the last two weeks or so in this wet weather so I think that may have somthing to do with it.

Has anyone had anything similar happen with their Rb25s? I also noticed these tubes coming from the head have a little oil in them for the first time ever and this problem started cropping up - not my engine in pic and my tubes are clear hose thats why ican see there is oil in them. I thought they were oil breather hoses so i figure this is probably fine, but if anyone can correct me please do so! :D

Its the only way I'll learn...

• 3 weeks later...

I have EXACTLY the same thing happening to my RB20!! :confused:

I thought that it might be a f**kup when my immobiliser was installed, but now i'm not so sure. My immobiliser gets bypassed this wk so i'll find out then...

Gonna x-post this in the tech section for more coverage.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...656#post1105656

It seems to be a common issue with RB engines.......they tend to drop very low when you have come hard off the gas........i find by letting the vehicle slow down by braking against the engine will allow the system to sort itself out and remedy it.

Not uncommon. Someone once told me it was because of the GTR fuel pump.....not sure how correct that is.

i believe its something to do with the way the fuel pump is ground... one remedy is to re earth it to a better position or something... there should be a thread in the performance section related to it.

mine stalls all the time... but i dont have any BOVs lol

could also be something to do with the BOV... stock or aftermarket?

If it only happens when you give it a bit of full throttle or even just a bit of a push then completely come off the throttle then it is your BOV. If you have no bov or an aftermarket item then try going back to the stock plumback system. When i blocked off my blow off valve so i was running no bov this happened to me all the time, and after less than a week i gave up and put the stocko back on

This information may be completely irrelevant to your situation and i accept no responsibilities to anyones time that has been wasted

Thank you

remember this has only just started and has never been an issue before so it more than likely aint going to be the idle or timing...

just take it to be checked.

on my rb25 i used to get it to stall when i put the clutch in for longer than a gearchange... was happening cos i wasnt running a bov... allowed to turbo to spin back the other way and it inst what the engine want, creates too much back pressure shuts down

Sorry to Hijack basket case. hopefully we can both get our RB's sorted :) glad it's not just me...

inark...I'll get my earth checked to my fuel pump (cause immobiliser was 3 point and included fuel pump).

Don't know about Basket Case but mine stalls at random. Cruising along a highway, cruising down the street. Slow decelleration coming to lights. and just like basket case, sometimes it'll start again straight away, and other times it'll take 3 mins to crank over again :(

remember this has only just started and has never been an issue before so it more than likely aint going to be the idle or timing...

just take it to be checked.

so your saying that the IAC valve(that controls the idle)cannot die?The timing check would also be a good idea...but make sure you have the correct procedure for your vehicle....ie some models you have to disconnect IAC valve/TPS

cheers

this sounds exactly like the problem i was having....imean still am having with my (KA24e)pintara im about to sell......i thought it might be the fuel pump ......sounds like it might be....considering the car doesnt have a turbo...!

it just sits there now while i drive the ceffy

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! Woa, all these replies, I acually moved house so i have been without the net for a month - strange times for me...

I got an immobiliser installed a few weeks ago and got my custom turb manifold welded up coz it had a few cracks (thanks cef11e) and I was talkin to a mech about the idle (650RPM) and he assured me there was nothin to worry about with the ilde if it had been runnin' happily for 4 months like that.

Why im on the net at my local library now?

two days ago, :) the cef ran into so serious electrical fouls - It cuts out as soon as the motor warms up - Just cuts the fuel, pump the accel and it somtimes comes back and you can limp the car to a safe place to stop. Im guessing its a messed up temp sensor somewhere? which one who knows... I still get plenty of fuel pressure wich says its not a fuel delivery issue with the pump...

So 3 mechanics later and no one can figure it out - So im goin to shell out $$ getting it dyno checked by a perfomace mech with the right equipment to test the ecu. and hopefully all will be well again.

Thanks for all the replys! and I shoukd be a regular forumer in about a week when i get my new net connection hooked up!

Mine had the same problem and I use a head cleaners spray (for VHS players) on my AFM. Must be due to the HKS powerflow not blocking the dirt enough. After cleaning, pull my batt connectors out (to reset the CPU) then reconnect. Then start it up. Works wonders and car don't feel lag anymore.