SAU Community

Series 2 Coil packs on a Series 1 Motor

DRFT33

Hey guys, just need some info. I sold a set of Series 2 or Series 1.5 coil packs to a user on this forum. It was on a spare Series 1 motor that i had. Now apparently, the coilpacks are completely different and i know that it didn't have an ignitor module. It was the way i bought it and need some info on how to fit it on a series 1 motor, so i can help the buyer out.

Also these are for a R33 Skyline with RB25DET.

Thanks.

I'm in the same situation as yourself.

Have s2 coils for a s1 rb25det loom, the plugs dont fit so i was looking at getting hold of series 2 plugs or finding an alternative plug that fits.

Will s2 coils work with a s1 loom and ignitor?

You dont need the s1 ignitor with the s2 coils.

It "should" simply be a matter of tracing the power, earth and signal wires from the s2 coils back to where the s1 ignitor plugs in. There will be 6 wires (for 6 cylinders funnily enough) running direct from the ecu to the s1 ignitor, these are the signal wires that i am assuming have to be directly connected to the s2 coils. The other wires are self explanitary (the pinouts will be written on the coil itself).

I'm not saying it wont pop your ecu though as i don't know if there is any difference between the ignition signal circuitry in the s1 and s2 ecus.

I'm not saying it wont pop your ecu though as i don't know if there is any difference between the ignition signal circuitry in the s1 and s2 ecus.

I'll be using a power FC with the s1 loom and s2 coils.

I was thinking of just changing the plugs over on the coil packs but realy want to be sure the series 2 cars still use an ignitor, it must still work the same but be mounted remotly.

With S2 coilpacks Nissan 'built in' the transistors that are found in the ignitor pack found on earlier cars. The ignitor pack on S1's has 6 transistors, one for each of the coil packs. The ECU signals these transistors in turn to fire the coil packs. But on S2's each coil pack has the firing transistors manufactured into the coil pack itself (one per coil pack). The ECU is connected directly to the coil packs on S2's, but the way things work is essentially the same. In theory a S1 ECU should fire S2 coil packs fitted to an S1 engine by simply removing the ignitor pack and 'bridging' the connectors on the wiring loom. Of course if the coil pack connectors are also different you'd have to change them as well.

That said, I've never tried it so take no responsibility if the attempt is made :rolleyes: