SAU Community

Naughty ol' radar detectors

Azza2k4

Hey guys,

Over here in NZ we're allowed the luxury of radar detectors (and believe me they are a luxury - even if you're not the type inclined to speed they do give a little extra piece of mind). I was told they are completely illegal in Aus, what's the penalty for being caught with one??

Road Angels accuracy depends on a database that gets updated how often?

Thats how it works doesn't it? You download from a database of where all fixed camera's are and it chimes whenever your coming up to one.

My Road Angel is one of my best investments yet.

As I understand it, it's avoided being banned by the police because it's a "hazard/blackspot warning" device.

The logic- speed/red light cameras are *only* placed at accident blackspots (not places where they generate the most revenue right) so the Angel is just another road safety tool.

Aside from giving advance warning of accident blackspots (aka speed/red light camera sites) it also shows:

■ School safety zone warnings during school hours

■ Railway crossings

■ Country town entrances where speeds change (from 100 to 60 kays)

■ Point to point speed safety cameras

■ Multanova safety camera areas in Perth

My Road Angel is one of my best investments yet.

As I understand it, it's  avoided being banned by the police because it's a "hazard/blackspot warning" device.  

The logic- speed/red light cameras are *only* placed at accident blackspots (not places where they generate the most revenue right) so the Angel is just another road safety tool.

Aside from giving advance warning of accident blackspots (aka speed/red light camera sites) it also shows:

? School safety zone warnings during school hours  

? Railway crossings  

? Country town entrances where speeds change (from 100 to 60 kays)

? Point to point speed safety cameras  

? Multanova safety camera areas in Perth

how much do these road angels cost?

They are perfectly legal to use and own, been pulled over many a time with mine up.

They also pick up road works, crew signals and emergency vehicle signals.

They should be allowed in other states if u ask me as they are advising u of upcoming dangers.

Politicians lick nuts

PS if you buy one for $300 you are wasting your money i wouldnt spend under 800, that or buy a second hand top of the range one.

They are totally legal in WA. However, if they really want to ping you for something they will get you for obstruction of vision. I have been warned on this so now when i get pulled over I quickly remove it for peace of mind. Also, I feel it gives the cops and extra reason to try and get you for something else seeing as it gives them the notion that "this guy must speed alot and thats why hes got a radar detector etc etc.

Word of advice: try not to drop the detectors. Mine still works ( as in beeps etc) but i have lost the visual side of things.

The logic- speed/red light cameras are *only* placed at accident blackspots (not places where they generate the most revenue right)

That is totally opposte here in vic. All the camera's are in places where they raise $$, nothing to do with accident blackspots

In Bris red light and fixed speed cameras don't have any warning signs. I've got the Uniden GPS 301....the poor man's Road Angel does pretty much the same thing $288 at Tandy's