SAU Community

R32 Oil Pressure

stingray

I got a major service done straight away after the transportation from Japan before I even drove the car. The mechanic that checked it out said it was a perfectly healthy good engine with good compression. But when I drove it to the compliance workshop the oil pressure gauge dropped down to 0 every now and then. No light came on so I assumed it was an oil sender problem as this is common problem. After the compliancing the car went back to the mechanics and he checked it with an oil pressure gauge and it was low, like 10psi on idle. So what he did was flush the system and it didn't improve much, something like 14psi. So he said it might be an oil pump problem and that it should be fine to drive for now to get it registered first and then back to the mechanics after. So yesterday when I started it to move it to give it a wash it hesitated and after a few tries it started but with a very lumpy idle and oil pressure light on. I immediately switched it off and waited a bit and tried once more and it started fine. So I didn't really think it was a problem. Today I booked in rego for Wednesday and I wanted to start it again to check if it's ok to drive. It started first go but idled real rough with oil light on. So I switched it of and didn't try it again. Should I cancel the rego and get the car towed to the mechanics immediately because I'm afraid I might be starving the engine of oil on start-up?

Sorry for the long post but I'm frustrated that my mechanic didn't pick up on the oil pressure problem before he handed the car back when he should have checked these things. After all I payed $800 on this full service.

Don't start it...

The motor is going to have to be pulled out and oil pump pulled off.

Hopefully the screws on the back of the oil pump have rattled a little loose and causing the oil pump to have problems making some decent oil pressure.

Check the oil level.

Hopefully you haven't done any damage by running the motor with no oil pressure.

Is it an RB25DE or RB20DET?

Well I started it this morning and it started first go. So we drove it to Vicroads for registration and there was no hassles there. Then I drove it to mechanics with no problems, so it seems like there hasn't been any damage done from the 1st few start ups. My mechanic said it could be cutting the fuel because of the low oil pressure. Does the R32 do this?