SAU Community

Noisy pod (!) Is this a silly question?

Just fitted a K&N pod filter to my R33 turbo Skyline (replacing high performance HKS cold airbox) and have noted significant induction noise increase. However it seems very loud (drowns out 3.5" exhaust) and is quite invasive in the cabin. Is this normal? Am wondering if all pods are the same. Pod is un boxed (ie no covers in the engine bay) but even test cover made little difference.

* Also have noticed appreciable turbo lag aroung 3,000rpm. Esp in fifth gear (under load). Would fitting pod change tuning set up?

have no other car for comparison so thought I'd let it loose on the forum.

mine is noisy too. my friend thought he had some induction noise in his N/A car until he heard mine.

i like the noise also. the sound of air in the engine....it's what turbos are about (as well as the power and the...............................)

it migh change the setup as the car is getting more air now..

and the noice is normal - but yes, some pods allow more air through then others - the K&N is a great choice for airflow whilst still having max filtration :)

it's normal and the sound is great :cheers:

Hey,

Had HKS "shrooms" fitted in Japan, though they got stolen on the boat ( beware of ship captains, 84 Colt sporting green pods)

Now I have the rigid K&N filters which make a heaap of intake noise. But then there are two.. so Im not sure if there would be more noise ( more surface area "sieving" the air) or less ( air speed / ferocity through each filter would be half, compared to running a single on a RB25) At any stage, I can almost tell what angle the boost dial is, by the intake noise.

- ^^