SAU Community

Automatic Transmission Shift Kit. - Updated Oct 2006

4door_Sleeper

about 230rwkw. I think it broke gradually. It's been flaring 1st to 2nd for ages and as my power has gone up it's got worse. Also I've been to heaps of track days and overheated it once.

i do have a cooler for it.

I am going to get M V Automatics to rebuild it nice and tough. It will be much stronger when I get it back and should be shifting gears like a mother****er.

And we all know how good that is.

hi guys

i work for mike at mv automatics in adelaide

i am his apprentic and have been their for over 2 years now

i my self have just brought a r33 skyline

auto of coruse

just shift kitted it and its killer.

mike has been doing these kits for a long time

i my self think its a must for all you auto drives out their

i have driven many car making good power but have had shit shifts.

after fitting a shift kit different car a must for people making half diecent power.

the shift kit inproves the shift all thought the gears

also it is controlled but throttel

eg.the more you are on the throttle the harder the shifts gets

so at light throttel a great clean shift and at full throttel normally cherps.

also their are diffent stages we can go to sut your combo

eg.stage 1 satge 1.5 etc

hope this help you guys out.

if you would like to know more i will be happy to help you with

go the autos

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I am hoping you can help me out here. I am in the UK and bought one of the VB's from MV.

My mechanic was installing the new VB and, got the welsh plugs in ok, but, when he came to swap over the 4 solenoids he found that the old and new VB's do not match up and I am stuck, looking at the 2 pictures can you tell me what the problem may be?.

FYI the gearbox is not the one off my car, I bought it as a spare, and it definately came off an RB25 Engine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers,

Jake.

Pic on the left is of the old VB, the new VB is the pic on the right

Hi Jake

I spoke to Mike at MV automstics today, but it seems you beat me to it.

(for the benifit of other mambers on the forums) He tells me you have basically got an R34 box (they put these in the last of the R33's) and that he has/will fix things up for you.

Let me know how things go

Guy.

.......and damn was it worth it .

Very very messy job to do, lots of things that can go wrong, but, the end result is an autobox that just does not slip between gearchanges, 1st to 2nd goes in with a bang and a thud, 2nd to 3rd the same, 3rd to 4th not so bad, the changes are lightning fast and, I have just had the pleasure of breaking the rears loose on the 2-3 change up, jeseus christ I love this shift kit :)

BTW, did anybody else reset their ECU after installing the VB, I did have 1 slight issue with the box sticking in 2nd and bouncing off the limiter without a change up, but, this could have been boost related (too high), then again, it could be the car just learnng the new shift patterns too.

All in all, very, very pleased with it :D

there is a compisit belt made out of kevlar and something else wich initates the drive of the gear box when it slips excesively it ither needs to be replaced or tightend

ps. dont open the cover of your auto and start tightining things the belt is set to a certian NM of presure leave it to a pro

• 2 weeks later...

Oh bloody hell i'm pissed off after all that trouble installing it, i put the car in d and it goes no where, basically wont engage in any gear. If anyone thats done it them self can give me some answers to where they put certain things that would be great because i can't call mike up until tommorrow. The two centre circles get plugged up with wesh plugs, 2 of those springs are removed and not used. The skinny long (softest) spring is placed in the hole closest to the engine. Heres wherei could have possibly been wrong, did u goes place that spring in the hole closest to engine or closest to tailshaft. Apart from that there was probly 1 left over screw but i think that was because it was already on the new vb. Any way would be great if someone can reply to the post other wise i'll find out tommorrow from mike and let you know how i go.